Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Blew up my truetrac

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
To those with Yukon 4.10 gears and gear noise:

If your installer says they can make that noise, it is normal..... They are full of ****! Your gearset was not installed correctly. Yukon gears are strong AND quiet.
Do you speak from experience or are you basing that on what someone told you?

The set-up specs for Meangreen's truck are as follows:

PD: .035"
BL: .0075"
PBPL: 19 in.lbs.

Notice that the pattern is not centered between the heel and toe of the teeth, however, it is centered between the root and crown. That is what anyone installing gears should pay attention to when installing gears themselves. Once you get a pattern centered between the root and crown, you can be certain that your pinion depth is correct.

I also run patterns on the coast side of the teeth as you have more tooth surface to read.

Meangreen should have ZERO problems with these gears granted he breaks them in correctly.

Just to be clear to everyone, Meangreen's gear install was textbook. All settings were where they needed to be and I had a good pattern too.

There is no guarantee that ALL aftermarket gears will be quiet. You run a chance for some noise in few cases. I have installed many gearsets and I will say that SOME have made noise despite a perfect install. Also keep in mind that in an SUV, the slightest noise can be heard if not amplified.

Meangreen, don't worry, if your gears were going to fail, they would have done so by now.

Last edited by axisT6; 12-01-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Country Boy
Ouch. No problems when it was installed like tight axles or hard to get In block? By the looks of it, it would have been a problem easily seen on the install. 120k on mine and still great.
No issues as far as I can remember. This install went well.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:24 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axisT6

Notice that the pattern is not centered between the heel and toe of the teeth, however, it is centered between the root and crown. That is what anyone installing gears should pay attention to when installing gears themselves. Once you get a pattern centered between the root and crown, you can be certain that your pinion depth is correct.

I also run patterns on the coast side of the teeth as you have more tooth surface to read.

Meangreen should have ZERO problems with these gears granted he breaks them in correctly.

Just to be clear to everyone, Meangreen's gear install was textbook. All settings were where they needed to be and I had a good pattern too.

There is no guarantee that ALL aftermarket gears will be quiet. You run a chance for some noise in few cases. I have installed many gearsets and I will say that SOME have made noise despite a perfect install. Also keep in mind that in an SUV, the slightest noise can be heard if not amplified.

Meangreen, don't worry, if your gears were going to fail, they would have done so by now.
I second this!! Most of the ones I have done were the same, I am not as much of an expert as you are, but I have built my fair share of rear diffs. Most were 12kgvw and up, where noise is not an issue with the customers. I take pride in my setups too, but sometimes you get noise, sometimes you cant tell.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No issues as far as I can remember. This install went well.
Yeah Brian knocked it out quick and everything went well besides the swaybar kinda being in the way. I still have pictures on my phone from the install.

I did break them in correctly and I don't think I even beat on it for at least 1500 miles after the install.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:32 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I am speaking from experience. I've been doing this since March of 1991, worked at independent shops, GM dealerships, and I currently own my own business. GM and ASE certified. I wasn't attacking you, or questioning your abilities either. The simple fact is this, human error happens to all of us. Some own up to it, others don't, whatever. If you were asked about a noise on a diff that you set up & didn't pull the cover, recheck the pattern, backlash, etc..... that's between you and your customer. Just because you've done something several times successfully does not mean that you are now infallable.

Again, I wasn't attacking you or your abilities. If you rechecked it and it was okay, then it was okay. But there are alot of shops out there who do not stand behind their work when something goes wrong. The customer gets screwed in the end when they are told "it's okay, don't worry about it." And that just irritates the hell out of me.

Okay, back on topic now please!!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71

Yes, I am speaking from experience. I've been doing this since March of 1991, worked at independent shops, GM dealerships, and I currently own my own business. GM and ASE certified. I wasn't attacking you, or questioning your abilities either. The simple fact is this, human error happens to all of us. Some own up to it, others don't, whatever. If you were asked about a noise on a diff that you set up & didn't pull the cover, recheck the pattern, backlash, etc..... that's between you and your customer. Just because you've done something several times successfully does not mean that you are now infallable.

Again, I wasn't attacking you or your abilities. If you rechecked it and it was okay, then it was okay. But there are alot of shops out there who do not stand behind their work when something goes wrong. The customer gets screwed in the end when they are told "it's okay, don't worry about it." And that just irritates the hell out of me.

Okay, back on topic now please!!
Wasn't taking it as a bash. It is too bad that you can't sense tone with text. I agree with your sentiments about most shops. I do guarantee my work up to and including replacing the whole rear axle if something goes wrong on account of my error. Now, I have not seen Meangreen's truck since the install, however I have no problem taking a look at it if he comes by.

OK, NOW back on topic..
Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

I have a need to open up my diff now since my auvurn pro series got installed ive had no prob but lately theres like a clickibg noise the type the welded diffs make should I b concerned and wat oil do u guys think is suitable? Last gear swap I did was cause my gears were f uped maybe im looking too much into this or do u guys think I should open it up?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by casper02
I have a need to open up my diff now since my auvurn pro series got installed ive had no prob but lately theres like a clickibg noise the type the welded diffs make should I b concerned and wat oil do u guys think is suitable? Last gear swap I did was cause my gears were f uped maybe im looking too much into this or do u guys think I should open it up?
?? A welded diff shouldn't click.....
Old 12-01-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Wen it turns I mean
Old 12-02-2010, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the peace of mind

Quick Reply: Blew up my truetrac