Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Blue Ox build

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Ox build

Here's a small writeup of the fun I've had with my 4L60e. I lost 2nd gear, maybe 4th, although I was on the highway going 65 and RPM's were only 2300. I could catch my fingernail on the reverse input drum, so I think its a combo of that, plus the band wearing down, and maybe the servo checkball in the case. Havent checked the checkball yet for a leak into the case. My Silverado is a 2003 4x4, and someday will hit the trails. Paul Zank is the man! I think its the mustache. On with the pics.....

29 element sprag...

Beast sunshell....

Borg Warner High-Energy Band

Transtec/Bulkpart Complete Service Kit

Low/Roller Clutch

Corvette Servo Ready to go

Valve Body Disassembled

Stator Half

Upper Pump Half

Sonnax HP-4L60E-01, this is the most fun because of the improved check ***** and pinless accumulators

Valve body bolts laid out....although this is going disappear soon whether I want it to or not

Pump bolt seals

More pics to come. I have a question though....

How critical is the depth of the bushing for the ring gear support shaft for the front carrier? I think mine might be too deep. I could snap a pic later tonight. Please help. I lined it up with the oiler hole on the rear shaft, and the bushing was above it. It shouldnt be covering the hole, should it?

New pics

New front ring gear, 5 pinion planet

Input drum with new clutches and steels, gap measurements confirmed, but need the teflon rings installed, taking it to the tranny shop

Front pump in need of teflon rings, I attempted this but stretched them too far, have to make sure the material you use to slide the rings is easily formable

5 pinion rear planet and sun gear with new bushing

New Rev-Input Drum with clutches and steels, waiting in a clean environment.

New lo/reverse spring installed with snap ring. Finally!

Specialty tools, some made, some bought, used the press plus 3/8" washer/nut/bolt combo to remove forward sprag/sun gear bushing, impact socket/extension to remove pump bushing

TOol made to install lo/reverse snap ring.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Case valleys cleaned, accum. bore cleaned, servo bore cleaned, servo check ball capsule installed, indicated by black circle. Check ball didnt leak after I cleaned the bore.

Sonnax pump parts, the new single spring is awesome.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dint have any advice on transmission work but im in to see the finished product
Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Thanks, I have more pics to post when I get home, and am taking the pump and input drum to the shop today to get the teflon rings installed. Thats killer that you're swapping in a 4l80e. Hows that going? Have a post somewhere? I considered this swap, but my welding skills arent perfect yet. I'd be afraid I wouldnt get the mounts at 90* with the frame, off-center yada yada.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its going. Im actually working on my 4l80e now. Im installing a shift kit and I'm just about done. Thats as far as I'll go with transmission work! Haha
Old 06-01-2012, 12:28 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Moved to the correct section for you.

Good luck with your 60!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Well thankie. I'm new 'round these parts.

More fun.

Got the parking gear, rear planetary, ground down the low roller clutch race 1/32" to allow for some clearance around the beast, that was funEven with carbide burrs. Beast and its special washer, front ring gear and planetary, output shaft and the stupid snag ring. Just dropped the input drum and pump off to the tranny shop to have the teflon rings installed. Wont get that back til Monday.

On with the pics...

Valve body all cleaned up and ready to go in.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Technic used to install/remove servo snap ring, it just makes it easier. The new installed spring was just a bit taller than mine. Maybe out of a Corvette or sumpin?

Issues I had to deal with. I heated them up with the torch, but they still stripped. Someone out there has to make a normal hex bolt that allows clearance for the TC. I had to drill out the heads, then wack them off (ha) with a flat blade and hammer.. Then welded a bolt and blasted them out with the impact.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Teching In

I did work last night.

She was dirty and worn....

The band and both drums installed. I heard the bell sound so I know they are seated. I had to take them out and put back in probably 4x to get it right. No one ever said it would be easy. I air tested and was able to see it clutch the revinputdrum.

Resizing pump rings. Did the same for the input shaft. Pink is for princesses 1st birthday. Ha.

Pump installed....I was able to still turn the vane rotor.

Servo installed, band pin in place, Sonnax pinless 3-4 accum and spring installed with D-ring and teflon ring

Valve body installed, torqued to 90in/lbs, The only thing I drilled out on the Transgo separator plate was 2-3 hole and enlarged it to .080. Sonnax suggested .086-.093, and Transgo says .065-.070, so I figured why not go somewhere right in the middle. Sonnax suggested to drill out ALL holes. I opted not to based on forum research. Pan on torqued to 110in/lbs
Old 06-10-2012, 07:06 AM
Teching In

TC cleaned at least on the inside. Dont care about replacing right now as I havent modded the engine yet. Things to come are cam, rockers, push rods, and springs. Maybe the Vette intake assembly. F'n done.

Quick Reply: Blue Ox build