Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

BOOOOOOM!!! rattle rattle

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:22 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts
Default BOOOOOOM!!! rattle rattle

flexplate said goodbye tonight. i was racing a car when it went. hopefully it didnt take out the converter or anything else with it. luckily a buddy was there with his tow truck and took me and put me in his garage for free

any tips or tricks to pulling the transmission to replace the flywheel? ive never pulled a transmission and i hate working under my lowered POS truck
Old 01-09-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were you winning when it went out haha...but seriously...thats sucks man, good luck on getting it fixed
Old 01-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I just swapped mine out... its not too bad. its WWWAAAAYYYYYY easier to do on a lift though... I hear ya on not wanting to work on anything lowered... I know it sucks because I have the same damn drop LOL.

I dropped the d-shafts, x-member,cooler lines, and unbolted the TC and bellhousing and just slid the trans back over my Y pipe and swapped it out. I didnt have to drop it. if you can, the way I did it was a lot easier.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I just swapped mine out... its not too bad. its WWWAAAAYYYYYY easier to do on a lift though... I hear ya on not wanting to work on anything lowered... I know it sucks because I have the same damn drop LOL.

I dropped the d-shafts, x-member,cooler lines, and unbolted the TC and bellhousing and just slid the trans back over my Y pipe and swapped it out. I didnt have to drop it. if you can, the way I did it was a lot easier.
I've swapped out the clutch on my older chevy this way. I went to Home Depot, and bought some (2) long galvanzed carriage bolts. They were the same size thread.

Unbolt the trans, slide in the two long 10" bolts, unbolt the x-member, and pull the trans back. There's just enough room to put some wrenches in there.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I didnt use long bolts... just a tranny jack and a buddy... works great. at least this way I know I can swap a converter fairly quickly...
Old 01-09-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

ive done mine 7 times but i have always had a lift. but its also a 4x4 so its a lil more time consuming. but its not hard at all.i would put your truck on some decent jackdstands to make it easier than doing it on the ground.first the drive shaft.i would definatley lower your exhaust, just because it makes a lil more room. and for that youll need a 12 inch extension and a 15mm semi deep . i used a swivel but i also have a snap-on man at my disposal.next take your starter out and torque conver bolts loose.then get the tranny jack and take your crossmember out , then put the jac k under the tranny. then use you r 15 mm semi deep with a long extension to get those top bell housing bolts out. after that. badabing, ready for the next tranny and the next and the next , if you were closer id give you a hand. i can honstely probobly do it with my eyes closed
Old 01-09-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

That sucks Stewart. Where you at school or locally when this happened?
Didn't you have the tranny out already when you swapped engines?

Jim
Old 01-09-2007, 10:43 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

none of yall had to disconnect the tranny cooler lines to slide the transmission back far enough.

i didnt have to unbolt the torque converter because it unbolted itself it sheared the heads off of the bolts and left me with bolts to dig out of my torque converter. i have the pacesetter ory in and didnt feel like cutting it out so i pulled the intake to get to the top bolts. life is alot easier that way IMO.

hopefully ill be able to extract these bolts from the torque converter still not done...wild night. wasnt worth it IMO.

oh i was in huntsville. it was an eventfull night. i had my problems and got towed by my buddy, the guy i was racing blew his motor, and my other buddies ended up hiding in a dark neighborhood for a couple hours because on the way to the garage the guy who was towing my truck scanner picked up that a gold camaro and crotch rocket were street racing. they sent out 3 troopers
Old 01-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Launching!

man i hate tranny issues!!! if i had mine to do all over again i would just get a FLT! or an 80 swap. i hate doing things twice!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds Like A Fun Nite,ive Had A Few Of Those

Quick Reply: BOOOOOOM!!! rattle rattle