Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

bouncy ride need suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bouncy ride need suggestions.

I have a 2002 silverado ecsb. I just put edelbrock ias shocks on it and it helped with a lot of my ride issues, and it handles cornering really well now. But it hasn't helped or made worse an issue I am having.

I also have a 2 inch drop shackle in the rear, no other mods.

I took it to two alignment shops and they said my alignment is fine. I've rode in other silverados and they dont drive like mine does. It only happens on the highway. My wheel balance is good too.

Heres the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhaMBAD2bZw

Note the severe shimmy when i get off my little throttle stab. I am holding the camera with the same hand Im driving with. the truck is bouncy. I never adjusted my pinion angle because I don't have any vibration is this causing it? I honestly dont remember how it rode before the shackle.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:58 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crap that video made me sea-sick!

So what's the motion that it's doing again? From the vid it looks like you your truck has a bad wobble, but your saying it just bounced up and down? Like as if your shocks are empty and your just riding on your springs? Is that more or less what your saying?

You need to take a video of yourself holding the camera with your other hand, and show the horizon so we can see how the truck is actually moving in relation to a fixed object.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesnt look bouncy it looks like wobble! Does it get worse the longer u drive or is it speed specific? Front or rear specific? Whats wheels & tires? Did u put shock extensions on the IAS for the full stroke?
Old 04-22-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess it is more like a wobble from side to side. It gets better with speed. In the video there is a shudder on decel (off brakes), on brakes the shudder improves.

It does seem more rear specific, I didn't use any shock extensions on the IAS as edelbrock told me they would be fine. The problem was there with the old shocks however (stockers).
Old 04-22-2010, 02:35 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the shocks might be empty and shot. I had a bad bad BAD riding CCSB when it was dropped 4-6 and it turned out the shop that did the install used some busted and broken shocks off one of the tech's truck and they used my new ones. It basically just rode up and down on the springs. If one's out than it could cause a wobble back there for you.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the shocks should be ok, they only have about 1k miles on them.

Today I went out and jacked up the front and found there is some play in the inner and outer tie rod ends and one of the ball joints seem to be having issues aswell. To my knowledge the tie rod ends have never been replaced and there is about 170k on the truck. I am going to pull the front apart and replace the ball joints and inner/outer tie rod ends. Bushings too if they are bad, get a good alignment on it and see what happens from there.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Spoolin
One of the shocks might be empty and shot. I had a bad bad BAD riding CCSB when it was dropped 4-6 and it turned out the shop that did the install used some busted and broken shocks off one of the tech's truck and they used my new ones. It basically just rode up and down on the springs. If one's out than it could cause a wobble back there for you.
WTF that's shaddy as hell... To the op just cause the shocks are new doesn't rule out a possible bad shock.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If one of those IAS were bad, ud have a puddle under it!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Teching In

you just exactally described how my truck rides. And I believe I have a 2" drop in the rear. It was droped a bit before I bought it but we are pretty sure its a 2" drop. The worst for me is at 60-68 shakes terribly. I hate to drive that thing on the highway it so bad. I also have had new tires-2000miles on them and a new alignment. They just said it was a tad out of alignment and corrected it for me. I always assumed it was my shocks as i think they are stock and was planning on droping it when i got new ones but I dont really know maybe something to do with the drop in the rear?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Damn that's worse than the spin cycle in my Frigidaire!!

Quick Reply: bouncy ride need suggestions.