Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

bouncy ride need suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dwl9113: Well...I'd check the pinion angle, and make sure u have no d-shaft bind. As u can see from my pic above I put on drop shackles for the trailing arms - big mistake...if u do the arms just leave them in stock position unless u plan to cut the d-shaft.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwl9113
you just exactally described how my truck rides. And I believe I have a 2" drop in the rear. It was droped a bit before I bought it but we are pretty sure its a 2" drop. The worst for me is at 60-68 shakes terribly. I hate to drive that thing on the highway it so bad. I also have had new tires-2000miles on them and a new alignment. They just said it was a tad out of alignment and corrected it for me. I always assumed it was my shocks as i think they are stock and was planning on droping it when i got new ones but I dont really know maybe something to do with the drop in the rear?
I replaced the bushings,balljoints,tierod ends on the front end balanced the tires and its better but no where near what it rode like new. I am thinking pinion angle now and maybe some different shocks.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

another video prior to the work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeDcB...eature=channel
Old 05-04-2010, 08:41 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I say go throw you truck up on a roller dyno to get a better picture of what's happening!!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pinion angle is easy enuf to check with a magnetic level...correct me if I'm wrong but shud be -3 to -5*? I think there are whole threads on the subject and how to shim it. R/
Old 05-11-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Between rebuilding the front end, getting new rims and tires that balance correctly, and getting an alignment shop that is actually worth the money, the truck drives pretty damn good right now. Need to work on some rear end bounce right now, but the front's pretty on the money. Pinon angle is fine.

When I got the alignment done the first time, the shop that did it was pretty bullshit. The new shop (who I must say did it old school without computers) had to do some massive camber/caster adjustments. The trucks NEVER driven so well.

Any suggestions on rear end work?

Last edited by stevenc; 05-11-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Well first things first man that is a bump *** ride! i have a lifted 02 Chevy with aftermarket blah. blah. blah. and its not even that bumpy of a ride (i am still searching for a slution!). With aftermarket wheels you need to make sure everything is dead on! i mean everything! Bolt patter of the wheels, correct lug nuts used on the correct wheels(cone or ball seat) hub bore of the wheel needs to be dead on! or you need hub rings "centric rings" that are dead other wise it is not worth it. you can ballance the wheels off the vehicle all you want and it will not help if these other things arent corrected. i hope this helps you out.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:42 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I'd first get the tires balanced good and second get the rotors turned or replaced. If it's shaking when you let off the gas like that, usually that's a warped rotor
Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevenc
Between rebuilding the front end, getting new rims and tires that balance correctly, and getting an alignment shop that is actually worth the money, the truck drives pretty damn good right now. Need to work on some rear end bounce right now, but the front's pretty on the money. Pinon angle is fine.

When I got the alignment done the first time, the shop that did it was pretty bullshit. The new shop (who I must say did it old school without computers) had to do some massive camber/caster adjustments. The trucks NEVER driven so well.

Any suggestions on rear end work?
I think I already mentioned this but Hoopers in the SFV is the best there is in So Cal.
Little far from you but worth the peace of mind.