Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Boxed trailing arms.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you can't just weld straight down one side. So I would weld a strip on one side then flip it and clamp it and weld the other side and kept doing this. And letting it cool in between. Around the bushings I welded even shorter runs and let it cool even longer. Doing so there was very little smoke from the bushings if any.

Haven't got to drive the truck yet. I drive my wife's car during the week.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by axekick
Any noticeable improvement from the trailing arm mod?
Actually it feels like it made the swaying worse.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You think your tire are the issue?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Search Roadmaster trailing arms on ebay. Got mine years ago for $150 from PMT Fabrication. Can't say I noticed a difference in handling, but the rear end stays planted when I get on the gas.

i'm leaning more toward hooking than roll. when you think about it, those bowing like that would act like a spring on a launch. bow open on a squat then try to spring back causing major wheel hop. i know when i had my home made 2wd t-case in, mine would wheel hop when it did loose traction. of course it only loss traction twice and both times it snapped the axle shaft. i think boxing or tubing them will give more axle control.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by custm2500
You think your tire are the issue?
Nope, sway problem continued after a brand new set of tires were installed. I suspect the track bar is bowing but its hard to keep an eye on it and drive at same time. Go pro camera would be great lol

I rarely drive the Avalanche anymore, the rcsb is so fun to drive and it gets better, much better mpg. So I kinda quit trying to fix the sway problems.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Got a tubular panhard bar from Edelbrock, part 5262, for $75 shipped. I think they can be had for under $100 pretty easily. Really helped the high speed stability, truck doesn't feel like it's wandering all over the highway now, and heavy wind doesn't try to push me into the next lane like it used to. Worth every penny IMHO.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

FYI, for anyone interested in buying pre-fabed LCAs and panhard, Spohn makes both in fixed and adjustable for the GM SUV's at a pretty good price. I have also read that the '77-'96 B-body LCAs are the same dimensions and lots of places make those.

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Got a tubular panhard bar from Edelbrock, part 5262, for $75 shipped. I think they can be had for under $100 pretty easily. Really helped the high speed stability, truck doesn't feel like it's wandering all over the highway now, and heavy wind doesn't try to push me into the next lane like it used to. Worth every penny IMHO.
Sounds like exactly what I need. Seems like lately my Tahoe wants to wander all over the road and seems wind effects it more than previously. My rearend also feels like it is drifting out on a left turn on acceleration when I know it is not.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

It may be time for new bushings. Might want to throw some on the torsion bar bracket as well. I've thought about Polly myself but I don't want them to squeak. And I rather enjoy my smooth ride. . Mine handle pretty damn well. It pretty stable at 130 but it start to feel a little light at that speed. I thought about taking of the forward mount point on the frame for the LCA and put in one with a few more holes and getting /marketing some adjustable LCA. I want to make it launch as flat as I can to keep all 4 hooked up. Plus when I was wiggling the arm out of the frame mount I noticed it flexed a lot. The mount itself. It seems thin and weak. And if you have ever looked its not welded all the way around.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

For spending $30 on bushings and going to the trouble of replacing them, I would rather go tubular with new polyurethane bushings for $100 and never have to deal with the stamped steel one again.

To see the difference, go 70-80 mph on an empty highway and zig back and forth smoothly. You will definitely feel the back end "squish or slide" around, and that was even with my Hotchkis sway bars. Now, I can zig back and forth pretty aggressively at those speeds and not feel like I'm going to flip. It makes me sleep easier knowing, if I needed to, I could steer around something at highway speeds and not end up on my roof.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:45 PM
12 Second Truck Club

What size are your sway bars?

Quick Reply: Boxed trailing arms.