Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

brake proportioning valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake proportioning valve

Can anyone tell me where this is located? Is it located just below the reserve off the master cyl or is it mounted in the brake computer? I'm going to switch to a hydroboost system and trying to figure out where the valve is so I can figure out what to do about the rear drum brakes.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31
Can anyone tell me where this is located? Is it located just below the reserve off the master cyl or is it mounted in the brake computer? I'm going to switch to a hydroboost system and trying to figure out where the valve is so I can figure out what to do about the rear drum brakes.
Don't you love those drum brakes??
I HATE them!!

Jim
Old 05-01-2006, 06:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I really didn't mind them till I was towing my Monte Carlo on a 18 car hauler and traffic stopped and my brakes went to the floor and smelled like they were burning then there were no more brakes.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Yep the drums work ok when used the first few times, but after a few hours worth of prolonged heat, they warp, overheat, and get a tremendous amount of brake fade.
Trust me, I know where your coming from. Though I really do not think the Hydraboost is your complete answer or fix. GM's drum brake design is by far of poor quality.
Now, if you went with a hydraboost system and a 04' rear disc set-up, you may get great results.
How hard is it to convert to a hydraboost set-up?

Jim
Old 05-02-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It looks pretty easy. I'll be using a new OE Tahoe/escalade powersteering pump, two hydroboost lines, and hydroboost master cyl setup. My only concern is location of the proportioning valve is, is it just below the tank where the two lines exit between the brake slave cyl and the drivers side wheel well or is it below in the ABS control box? If it is in that slave cyl then we will need to convert to rear disks, if not, then we can keep the drums. I know you (chevy6000vho) have looked into swapping out for disks so what is required?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31
It looks pretty easy. I'll be using a new OE Tahoe/escalade powersteering pump, two hydroboost lines, and hydroboost master cyl setup. My only concern is location of the proportioning valve is, is it just below the tank where the two lines exit between the brake slave cyl and the drivers side wheel well or is it below in the ABS control box? If it is in that slave cyl then we will need to convert to rear disks, if not, then we can keep the drums. I know you (chevy6000vho) have looked into swapping out for disks so what is required?
You get the entire rear disc set-up for a 04' Silverado off a wrecked truck in junk yard. You need the backing plate, parking brake assembly, rotors, calipers, caliper brakets. all hardware, and brake lines. Though a stock set-up will give less braking power with stock braking system.
If you want bigger and a lot stronger rear disc brakes, Baer has the complete conversion kit. 14" rotors and everything to do the job from start to finish.
Though you have to have 18" wheels or larger to run their rear brake disc brake conversion kit.
I can get it for about $1000.00 or a bit less from a friend that gets me certain aftermarket parts.
GM screwed us.

Jim
Old 05-03-2006, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is no doubt there is a lot of screwing going on. Thats how I feel when GM/Chevy swore up and down 3.42s would pull like 3.73s. Then when they said E fans were the way to go unless you actually use your truck for work.