Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Brake Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Suggestions

Hello all, been a long time since I posted but it is time to get the Blue Beast some performance. Recently I upgraded my stock 16's to the 2005 Yukon wheels and tires. My brakes feel a lot different now. Obviously from the added size and weight, but is there another brake setup I can use for less that $1000? Brembo and Wildwood are ridiculous!
Old 12-30-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Thumbs up

I really liked my Power Slot rotors & Hawk Performance brake pads I upgraded to. There are a direct bolt on upgrade.
I had this brake set-up on my previous 2000 Silverado Ext cab.
You should be able to get all 4 rotors and both sets of pads for about $600 or less. Just depends on your shopping techniques.
They were a big difference over the factory brakes for the money spent.
Unless you want larger fancy rotors, your just going to have to up-chuck quite a bit more $$$$ flow.
Ask others here about the Power Slot Rotors/ Hawk Brake pad set-up.
Just do the break in procedure that comes with the rotors and pads first and enjoy them for a long time down the road. My first Hawk pads lasted me 75,000 mi. I'm very harsh on brakes too. Another plus is no brake dust on wheels. That is of course if you wash your vehicle at least once a month.
See what others have to say. I like them.
Good luck.

Jim
Old 12-30-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

I upgrades my brakes on my YukonXL about 8 months ago and it was one of the best things i ever did to it. I really went crazy and got upgraded Calipers that fit inplace of the stock ones. The braking difference between the stock setup and mine is like night and day.

Now to actually tell you what i got.
- SSBC Truck Force 10, Alumnium 3-Piston Stainless Steel Calipers
- Brembo Cross-Drilled Rotors (Next set i'll probably try a Slotted one for kicks)
- EBC GreenStuff 6000 Series Ceramic Pads (They wear faster than metallic ones but have rediculous amount of 'bite')
- Synthetic DOT4 fluid

In my opinion brakes are the first thing that should be upgraded on these heavy trucks.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Question

Originally Posted by RoninsDenali
I upgrades my brakes on my YukonXL about 8 months ago and it was one of the best things i ever did to it. I really went crazy and got upgraded Calipers that fit inplace of the stock ones. The braking difference between the stock setup and mine is like night and day.

Now to actually tell you what i got.
- SSBC Truck Force 10, Alumnium 3-Piston Stainless Steel Calipers
- Brembo Cross-Drilled Rotors (Next set i'll probably try a Slotted one for kicks)
- EBC GreenStuff 6000 Series Ceramic Pads (They wear faster than metallic ones but have rediculous amount of 'bite')
- Synthetic DOT4 fluid

In my opinion brakes are the first thing that should be upgraded on these heavy trucks.
And...............what was the wallet factor????????????????

Jim
Old 12-30-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Ahh good point... Forgot to mention that.

If memory serves the brake parts for each axle runs about 600$ for the calipers and 200$ for the brembo rotos.
Still pricy, but cheap compared to Brembo's GranTurismo Series that run 3000$+ per axle...
Old 12-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Aren't the Brembo rotors bigger in diameter? How does this affect the wheel clearance? I don't mind spending the money but if the PowerSlot rotors are just as good (recommended by Jim) then I will just get those.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Carrotop79
Aren't the Brembo rotors bigger in diameter? How does this affect the wheel clearance? I don't mind spending the money but if the PowerSlot rotors are just as good (recommended by Jim) then I will just get those.
The brembo disc's i have are stock size, as SSBC's calipers are designed for stock wheels.

I have no experience with the powerslot rotors, but they seem darn good for the cost. As another alternative EBC Also makes Slotted and Cross-Drilled rotors for our vehicles but i never took the time to price them.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Just did a little research on the Baer Brakes. The Baer brake rotors are larger in diameter. looks to be 13.5" -15" front and up to 13" for the rears.
Basically the rotors, calipers, caliper brakets, and pads will be totally different than stock. Will require 18" -20" wheels depending on how large the rotors call for per vehicle.
That would bring the cost to $1,600 or so plus the price of different pads.
They would definately stop better than the Power Slots, but that's because your up-sizing everything.
The Power Slot set-up was recommended due to the relatively low cost and easy install.
The Baer Brakes are not all the expensive for what you get, but is still knocking at the $2000.00 dollar mark.
Just depends on what you want. If you want a decent upgrade over stock: Power Slot Rotors & Hawk Performance Pads
If you want a significant difference over stock: Baer Brakes
It all depends on how deep you want to dig into your pockets.

Jim
Old 12-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like PowerSlot and HPS Pads win. Thanks for the advice all. I will post when installed. (2 weeks or so)
Old 12-30-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like PowerSlot and HPS Pads win. Thanks for the advice all. I will post when installed. (2 weeks or so)
Glad I could be of help. good luck with the install.

Jim

Quick Reply: Brake Suggestions