Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Brakestand gone bad!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakestand gone bad!

Well, did a brakestand the other night, yes i know i know bad anyways, but when you drive the truck i do, its hard not too the buddies love it, and im young and dumb. so anyways, its a 5spd 4.8L, when i stopped, put my foot on the brake and the gas and eased the clutch out using my left foot angled to hold the brake with my heel and let the clutch out with my toes...but when it wa sall the way out, my truck smoked LIKE it was spinning the tires, but i looked, no tires were spinning lol. it smelled like rubber, but also clutch obviously. It then for about another 100 miles, the clutch (wacked) into gear even when being easy on it, but now its back to normal, why the hell did it smoke but the tires didnt, what should i check? This was clutch smoke right? I only let it smoke for about 5secs before realizing the tires werent the cause of smoke. i want everything to be ok, keep in mind, my truck has 18K miles and has been babied till now...be honest, yeah i know it was dumb...leave that part out of your reply lol
Old 06-21-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

holy **** your dumb!!!

I'm jk buddy .. I actually have no idea...
Old 06-21-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

where was the smoke coming from? if you burned your clutch so bad that you could visually see smoke coming from the underside of your truck, you likely would have charred that clutch enough to need immediate clutch replacement - but that doesnt sound like the case.

if it smelled like rubber then you were spinning your tires. let me ask you this - what kind of rear end do you have? a peg leg or a locker? did you look as you drove off burned rubber on the cement? maybe you looked through the side mirror and didnt see the wheel spinning because you dont have a locker??? just a thought. burning clutch and/or brake smeels so much different than rubber.

todd
Old 06-21-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds to me you were just spinning the clutch. When you just eased out on the clutch it just took less force to spin the clutch rather than the tires. It should be ok just took some miles of the life of it tho. Just my thought but I have never had or worked on a standard so I could be wrong
Old 06-21-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

next time you want to do that, rev that puppy up to about 4 or 5 grand and dump that clutch and slam the brake! way more fun, and easier on your clutch that the way you are saying you try it - it will still take life away from your clutch, but whats a few burnouts

todd
Old 06-21-2007, 07:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Trust me, you would know if it were the clutch! like stated above the smells are nothing alike.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Once you are in the vehicle of a burning clutch its worse then a raunchy wet *** fart! it wont leave your nose hairs EVER!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Launching!

hahahah you guys rock i love this place...btw it smelled really bad though, like a wet fart eggs and rubber so, my best bet is to rev it and dump it, and slam the brake huh?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TylerCustoms
hahahah you guys rock i love this place...btw it smelled really bad though, like a wet fart eggs and rubber so, my best bet is to rev it and dump it, and slam the brake huh?
yes, rev up to a bit over 4.5k or so and dump that clutch and immediatly, and i mean immediatly, slam on the brake and just play a balancing act from there. you will know what i mean once you do one. the goal is to keep the tires spinning, the rpms up and your truck planted in the same spot until you want to slowly release on the brake (SLOWLY) and glide forward. you will understand once you play with it a bit.

if you get too addicted to this, you will be investing in an aftermarket clutche !
Old 06-21-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DLH2006
Trust me, you would know if it were the clutch! like stated above the smells are nothing alike.
Absolutely!! Kinda smells like burning brakes. But either way, totally different smells!

Quick Reply: Brakestand gone bad!