Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

broke my 90/10 shock.. have a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke my 90/10 shock.. have a couple questions

okay so I took my c10 out last weekend for a cruise, came home and parked it. The next day I noticed a puddle underneath it, so i looked under to find this:

I don't remember hitting anything or doing anything out of the norm. that would cause my shock to break off.
Now I'im not sure what number shock this is, but i am assuming that it is the competition engineering c2615 shock that is supposed to be for my body style truck. But the thing is I have 3 inch drop spindles on it which should change what shock i need. Now i bought this truck as a roller 3 years ago and this was the front end set up it already had. But being that this is probably a shock for a stock ride height truck, then there is a chance that since its lowered i bottomed the truck out at some point and sheered the shock of.. that's my theory but I'm not sure if that's exactly what happened or not..
I was hoping someone has a similar set up and can help me out.

So my questions are:
are these shocks worth replacing with what they are?
If i keep the same shock do i need to buy 2 and replace the other one as well?
Do i need to do a completely different shock that's set up for a 3 inch drop spindle?
Should i spend a little extra money and upgrade to something better?

Thanks!
John
Old 04-24-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is lowered with spindles then that would not change the shocks you use. Spindles don't change the suspension geometry.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stokedc10
...I don't remember hitting anything or doing anything out of the norm that would cause my shock to break off.
Now I'im not sure what number shock this is, but i am assuming that it is the competition engineering c2615 shock that is supposed to be for my body style truck. But the thing is I have 3 inch drop spindles on it which should change what shock i need. Now i bought this truck as a roller 3 years ago and this was the front end set up it already had. But being that this is probably a shock for a stock ride height truck, then there is a chance that since its lowered i bottomed the truck out at some point and sheered the shock of.. that's my theory but I'm not sure if that's exactly what happened or not...

So my questions are:
are these shocks worth replacing with what they are?
If i keep the same shock do i need to buy 2 and replace the other one as well?
Do i need to do a completely different shock that's set up for a 3 inch drop spindle?
Should i spend a little extra money and upgrade to something better?
Are they worth it / or spend more & upgrade? U can answer that better than anyone according to your budget, their current price & other possible options out there IMO.
Konis, Bilsteins, Ranchos, & others probably have an offering for you as well, besides CE.

I'd buy 2. Some things to me, only should be replaced in pairs; some may say otherwise, but if it comes in 2, & u can afford to do so, get a pr.
Plus, you've already had then for 3 yrs. & who knows how old they were when u got them. Looks like they've gotten some use already.

Did u even look up what that shock fits? Like whether it's a drop shock or not? While it probably sits funny now, it woulda been nice to establish compressed, extended & ride height of the CE shock. Then compare it to the stock OEM shock. Then factor in a 3" drop.

A quick search took me ~1-2 min. this is 1 of what I found, it hads your dimensions. Now, just figure stock & go from there. Looks to be $55-70 per shock thru various sources, some other place(s) may be more / less.
http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=410201
Old 04-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right and i have looked this shock up to find its supposed to be that c2615 shock, i just cant find any numbers on my shock to verify that that's what i have.
But i think i will end up just buying a pair, and still got to do a flip kit on the rear and build something similar to a caltracs set up and i think i should be able to hook just fine.
i more than anything just wanted to see if by having drop spindles that would change the shock that i need.