Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Broken 80e!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
That code, along with defaulting into 3rd gear only, is likely a tuning issue. Take a few minutes & read all the way through this thread.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ighlight=p0752

There are a couple of DTC's you must disable if you have an aftermarket "looser" converter installed. If you don't, the PCM thinks a shift was not completed(target rpm didn't occur), so the PCM throws the tranny into "limp" mode, which is 3rd gear only. If you drive on it much in 3rd only, you'll smoke the clutches, especially if you have good hp/tq.

HTH

Roger
I'll give that a shot. It isn't in limp mode, though. It has what feels like 1st and 3rd, but is probably 1st and 4th. The new Circle-D is rated at 2800-3000, while the Yank was a 3000. So if there's that much of a deviation between converters rated the same, namely enough to throw a code and pop it into limp mode...somebody isn't making their converter right.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Mod with training wheels

Ok, it turns out I can't set those DTCs to no error, since they aren't even in the DTC list. I checked a few other Gen4 GM vehicles, and they are lacking those codes on the list as well.

Assuming it is a tuning issue, that wouldn't explain the gnarly noise coming from under the truck prior to the shift. I ordered the shift solenoid from Orielly's, should be here tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:08 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's true about the noise. One time my 60E pump made that noise, pressure gauge went crazy while making the noise (needle rattled way up & down, sounded like a woodpecker inside the transmission), builder had to tear it down & reassemble it. He never admitted to finding something wrong inside, but he fixed it.

I don't think the shift solenoids will changed anything. Pretty sure you'll be taking it back out to be torn back down. But I also think you have a tune issue.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Mod with training wheels

That's true about the noise. One time my 60E pump made that noise, pressure gauge went crazy while making the noise (needle rattled way up & down, sounded like a woodpecker inside the transmission), builder had to tear it down & reassemble it. He never admitted to finding something wrong inside, but he fixed it.

I don't think the shift solenoids will changed anything. Pretty sure you'll be taking it back out to be torn back down. But I also think you have a tune issue.
What could honestly be wrong with it? The trans has been torn down and rebuilt twice. Pump and valve body both completely disassembled and verified to work properly. At this point the only parts sensitive to metal particles small enough to get through filters in the valve body are the solenoids.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:44 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didnt read the whole thread but what year segment swap are you using for the trans?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:49 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
What could honestly be wrong with it?
I wish I could give you a good answer on that.

Here's what I know about automatic transmissions, in a nutshell. They need 2 things to work properly. The ratio needs to be absolutely correct, or it will not work correctly. I still don't know the ratios, but the parts list includes black-magic, and voodoo. If you have too much, or not enough, of either one, you're screwed.

That said, it's my professional opinion that your transmission has too much black-magic, and not enough voodoo. I hope you get it solved soon.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Mod with training wheels

That is why I've considered the guy who has been helping me with the transmission a magician. Hopefully our resident wizard Vince will chime in on this.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Mod with training wheels

Originally Posted by TIM Z
I didnt read the whole thread but what year segment swap are you using for the trans?
It isn't a segment swap with Gen4 stuff, its basically a TCM reflash with a different OS. The VIN just has to match with your ECM operating system.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could give you a good answer on that.

Here's what I know about automatic transmissions, in a nutshell. They need 2 things to work properly. The ratio needs to be absolutely correct, or it will not work correctly. I still don't know the ratios, but the parts list includes black-magic, and voodoo. If you have too much, or not enough, of either one, you're screwed.

That said, it's my professional opinion that your transmission has too much black-magic, and not enough voodoo. I hope you get it solved soon.
DAMN where is vince when you need a lil input.....
Old 07-11-2011, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alton he's been fishing and then made a trip to Joliet for the NHRA nationals! Jake I guess when you drop the pan to replace the solenoid we will know if the trans is coming back out or not. With the noise you've got me worried because of what we have seen the last couple times the pan has been down. If you find some crap in the pan I want you to do a couple things before you pull the unit. Save the oil or do this before dropping the pan. I want you to pull the rear cooler line to check for flow and also the tail housing to make sure that the rear case orifice is spraying oil for the rear housing. I'm concerned that there is a lube issue here. I will say that it has been my experience that 80's do heat up much faster than the 60's and will run a little hotter. In your case we keep seeing issues with hard parts is why I say this. Vince

Quick Reply: Broken 80e!