Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Broken 80e!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Little bit of advice on 4L80E builds.
Fancy clutches and steels do no good.
Proper assembly and a good hydraulic recipe go a long ways.

It's pretty applicable to most transmissions as well. Red, blue, purple, pink etc frictions and fancy coated steels are pretty much a waste of money.

Last edited by Vince B; 07-12-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Signature
Old 07-12-2011, 08:04 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
Little bit of advice on 4L80E builds.
Fancy clutches and steels do no good.

It's pretty applicable to most transmissions as well. Red, blue, purple, pink etc frictions and fancy coated steels are pretty much a waste of money.
Amen man, I have bestluck with good old stock borg warner Hi energy clutches.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Of that, I have no doubt. And I do believe that is the issue here...something is being neglected during assembly that my eyes aren't sharp enough to see yet. As far as clutches and steels go...if I'm in the transmission, might as well put some good stuff in. If for anything, for some extra peace of mind that its just a little bit more durable. I am definitely back to square one with peace of mind on this truck, though...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by smokeshow
As far as clutches and steels go...if I'm in the transmission, might as well put some good stuff in.
The problem is, you are going backwards with the "good stuff".

Last edited by silver-mod-o; 07-13-2011 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Signature
Old 07-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

The problem is, you are going backwards with the "good stuff".
You're saying the cheaper OEM clutches are better than the racing frictions?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes. More expensive doesn't mean better in this case.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I use the stock pushlock fittings from my old 60e. Haven't had an issue with the lines or leaking. I just double hose clamp them to prevent leakage. Not as fancy as AN fittings and braided line, but it does the same job.
Originally Posted by Gadgetized
The rear fitting is different (I think only on the 99 up 80e's). It looks the same from the outside of the tranny, but on the inside there is a nipple that goes into the center support. That nipple supply's the fluid to the rear of the tranny for coolant and lubrication. You will burn up a tranny in 200 miles if you do not have this, and 2 of them in 400 miles. Ask me how I know. Lol. When I bought my tranny the original fitting was removed, and it was a pain to figure out. Here is a pic of 2 60e fittings, and the different 80e fitting.
Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Hey Smokeshow, did you see this? Any chance you have the wrong fitting causing a lack of lube problem?
Please tell me you have the right fitting in the rear of the case.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can still have debris in the cooler after flushing it. The Tru Cool 40k is the type that has the inlet on one side, and the outlet on the other side with several tubes connecting them in between. That is the reason I wanted to stay away from the Tru Cool. I decided to go with a Summitracing cooler that is one continuous tube that basically weaves back and forth side to side. The fluid runs straight through, and there is basically no way that debris can remain in the cooler after flushing. You can have debris remain in the Tru Cool after flushing as the flushing fluid will take the path of least resistance, and may never even touch the debris. Here is a pic of the two next to eachother. I would also assume that it would be worse if the lines entered and exited from the top as opposed to the bottom.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
You can still have debris in the cooler after flushing it. The Tru Cool 40k is the type that has the inlet on one side, and the outlet on the other side with several tubes connecting them in between. That is the reason I wanted to stay away from the Tru Cool. I decided to go with a Summitracing cooler that is one continuous tube that basically weaves back and forth side to side. The fluid runs straight through, and there is basically no way that debris can remain in the cooler after flushing. You can have debris remain in the Tru Cool after flushing as the flushing fluid will take the path of least resistance, and may never even touch the debris. Here is a pic of the two next to eachother. I would also assume that it would be worse if the lines entered and exited from the top as opposed to the bottom.
While I do agree with you about the tube style being better for flushing. The plate style is more affective at removing heat. If you have a major failure, it might be the best to just change the cooler. To much risk involved...

Chris
Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

ditto, I know when I have one severely overheat or something come apart and send lots of metal thru a unit it gets a new cooler, and the lines are always removed and put thru the parts washer and blown out with brake clean.

Quick Reply: Broken 80e!