Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Broken 80e!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince B
Please tell me you have the right fitting in the rear of the case.
Everything that came out went back into the 80e, minus the seals and whatnot, they were replaced with new stuff. The right cooler line fitting went back in. As far as the pushlock connectors are concerned, they are identical. If anything is different, it would have been that fitting on the inside.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Mod with training wheels

Old 07-13-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least that simple thing is not your problem.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Mod with training wheels

I kind of wish it was the problem, because I'm still left clueless.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a pressure gauge, you could check that before pulling it. Be a good check to see what's up...

Chris
Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince B
Please tell me you have the right fitting in the rear of the case.
I ran my stock 80e for 20k+ miles with AN fittings. Never had a issue. I did put the right stock fittings back in after i talked to Vince.
Its still goin strong.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Mod with training wheels

While I was driving the truck to a trans shop today, I found that I do in fact have 4th gear. Only one thats missing is 2nd; it has that clicking sound the whole time the HPT scanner says its in 2nd gear. After I got there, he told me to unplug the transmission harness connector to make it default to 2nd gear, but it only gave me 1st. Hooked it back up, and put it in manual 2nd with the shifter...truck moves. I guess the band engages in manual 2nd to hold the drum so it still has the gear technically, but since the clutches aren't engaging for whatever reason, putting it in D makes the trans skip over 2nd gear.
His diagnosis...lugs are broken in the case and the clutches aren't engaging evenly so it doesn't feel like it has 2nd gear at all. That would also explain all the steel shavings I found in the pan a couple nights ago...chewed up steels. OR it could be a torn up intermediate sprag.
As for the overheating, we brake stalled the converter to 3500rpms in both reverse and 1st gear and it didn't even need to get into boost. The dude said that excessive stall rating on the converter could cause the overheating, which I believe is a possibility. But I really think it is overheating now for the same reason it was before, whatever the reason may be...
Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow man. Im stumped and feel for ya bro.

Maybe find another good core and start over??

Or just a stock low mile 80e and throw a shift kit in, hell i dunno!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokeshow
While I was driving the truck to a trans shop today, I found that I do in fact have 4th gear. Only one thats missing is 2nd; it has that clicking sound the whole time the HPT scanner says its in 2nd gear. After I got there, he told me to unplug the transmission harness connector to make it default to 2nd gear, but it only gave me 1st. Hooked it back up, and put it in manual 2nd with the shifter...truck moves. I guess the band engages in manual 2nd to hold the drum so it still has the gear technically, but since the clutches aren't engaging for whatever reason, putting it in D makes the trans skip over 2nd gear.
His diagnosis...lugs are broken in the case and the clutches aren't engaging evenly so it doesn't feel like it has 2nd gear at all. That would also explain all the steel shavings I found in the pan a couple nights ago...chewed up steels. OR it could be a torn up intermediate sprag.
As for the overheating, we brake stalled the converter to 3500rpms in both reverse and 1st gear and it didn't even need to get into boost. The dude said that excessive stall rating on the converter could cause the overheating, which I believe is a possibility. But I really think it is overheating now for the same reason it was before, whatever the reason may be...
Sounds like a classic rolled intermediate sprag.
Probably not the case on a 4L80E.

Too harsh of a 1-2 shift, excessive intermediate clutch clearance, or improper burnouts are the normal cause for failure.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:08 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Is there such thing as a proper burnout?

Quick Reply: Broken 80e!