Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Broken Front Diff :( Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Broken Front Diff :( Help!

So my truck is at 38k miles now. Right before my warranty went back in January I had the dealer fix the 4wd because it was making a lot of noise. They rebuilt the transfer case and said it was all taken care of. After I got the truck back I had to make an 800 mile round trip the next day. The 4wd was still making noise but by the time I got back to town I was 300 miles out of warranty. I put it in 4wd this weekend and it cratered. Felt like the front end went. I took it into the dealer this morning and they confirmed that the front diff has bearings and crap broken and it transfered contaminated fluid to the transfer case which caused the t-case to fail as well. They agreed to warranty the t-case but want $1100 to rebuild the front diff. Think breakdown was $700 labor and $400 in parts. Does this sound out of whack or is this in the correct range for what a rebuild should cost. I would take it to a non dealer shop but they said that if they don't fix the diff and the t-case goes again they won't warranty it.

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

F that... fight it, and get it covered in warranty if they have jacked with any of the 4WD... I had a trans take a **** 2K miles out of warranty and got it replaced by the dealership... I ended up having to write letters to the VP of used vehicle operations for GM... but hey, it saved my 3G's LOL...

I wouldnt pay 1100 for them to fix something they've already dicked with..
Old 04-09-2008, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second that! You could buy a low mileage used front diff and t-case out of a wreck for cheaper than that!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AKZ71
I took it into the dealer this morning and they confirmed that the front diff has bearings and crap broken and it transfered contaminated fluid to the transfer case which caused the t-case to fail as well.
Thanks for any input.
I would love to hear them explain just exactly how fluid from the diff made it to the transfer case. Run down the center of the driveshaft?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE]I would love to hear them explain just exactly how fluid from the diff made it to the transfer case. Run down the center of the driveshaft? [QUOTE]

LOL.....Someone fucked up the first time around diagnosing it. I highly doubt there was anything wrong with the t case in the first place. What probly happened was the carrier bearing in the front diff ate itself to death then took out the ring and pinion.....it binded up and then destroyed the t-case. Tell them to STFU and fix it.

Alex
Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You shouldn't have too tough a time getting them to fix it. Explain to them that you had the transfer case "fixed" previously but that didn't resolve the issue. With a little persistence you should be taken care of.
I had a 2000 ECSB that lost its front carrier bearings around 29K and then again at 43K. I took it back to the same dealer and they told me tough luck at first but ultimately fixed it at no charge since it was close the warranty expiration and it had previously been serviced.
Good luck.
BTW, I really like the “fluid transferred to the T-case part.”
Old 04-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Staging Lane

you could rebuild the front diff on your own its very simple its more a matter of time i did mine 2 years ago it takes longer to remove it and put it back in then to rebuild it its about 6 hours labor all together start to finish + parts.

and ill second the transfering of contaminated fluid to the transfer case as on e of the funniest things ive heard today the 2 parts are connected by a drive shaft but dont share oil in any way
Old 04-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Okay so the dealer is just trying to bend me over on this one. All the dealership will say is that I should have bought the $1700 extended warranty from them like they told me to last time I was in for service while under waranty. I didn't think that the t-case and the front diff shared any fluids. I couldn't really figure out how that could be. The funny thing is that they are saying that the ring and pinion are fine. That the bearings are the only things in the front end that broke. I am going to go ahead and have them fix it then document everything and send it all in a nice email to GM. I am in the market for a new truck this year and definately won't buy anything from this one. This truck is my 6th GM pickup which I have bought new since 2000. I was in the market for a new car for my gf and was going to buy a G6 but I went and got a 2008 Mazda after what the GM dealer is putting me through on my truck.