Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Building a 4L60E for ~350hp

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your going to buy all that just look into a flt or a performabuilt IMO
Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

sell me yours kurt
Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by twolow02fransen
if your going to buy all that just look into a flt or a performabuilt IMO
Agreed
They have some very nice prices and builds.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pasadenaman
My trans and converter installed, $3k
$400 for install and cleaning up the the complete trans, valve body(4-5 hours) and replace the trans mount.
$800 for the rebuild
The rest in parts
I bought parts ahead of the build to make it less painfull on my wallet.

My builder told me that the front planet is the important one that take the beating.DO get a torrington bearing kit and replace all the bushings. There are some that I used that have a teflon coating in it.

I plan to do that on when I upgrade the rearend. Buy parts 1st, let wallet recover for a few weeks, then go pay for labor install the next time to have my rear upgraded.

Didn't know bout the front is the important 1 due to it takin the beatin, but it makes since now. That's why they say if u can only pick 1, do the front.

Originally Posted by Jeteys5.3
tuning plays a major role too in your trans life. I would suggest leaving some TM perhaps as well if not going with a fully built setup
That's the 2nd time I heard that today.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I recommend you also by the Koleen steels too.
New hardened separator plate
I opted out on the kevlar band and got the red eagle extra wide one along with the new reverse drum since I had a regular sized kevlar band worn in.
Get the strongest bolts, washer and nuts for the drive shaft carrier.
Aluminum accumulators.
Vette servis if you dont have them, I had them already.

I also had a tru trac and 373 gears put in 6 weeks ago. Chirp Chirp.

I could have gone with a FLT but had too many parts on hand to go that route and not go spend more than I wanted. IF I had 0 parts then I would have bough their stage 6.

Call them up b4 you buy all the parts, they might have something for you.

Last edited by pasadenaman; 05-19-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

After researching buying all the parts for my trans finding a local that I thought I might trust to build my transmission. I decided to spend a little extra and have FLT build if for the peace of mind of not having to do it again.

I hope the converter works out for you. I'm in the break in cycle on mine now I can tell I'm going to love it.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:52 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

If you have it apart and you are thinking about puting the 5 pinion planets in, you might as well put both Front and Rear GM 5 pinion planets in there. Installng only 1 isnt going to compensate for both. Check out the sponsers build list for some Ideas. It really depends on your overall goal's as to what really should be upgraded. GM 5 Pinion Planetaries arent absolutly all that nesscassary in a mild performance application. If you do choose to installthem, Use Only the GM ones as the aftermarket ones tend to Fail Quickly do to poor quality.

Red alto clutches are not all that nesscassary either. All though I would be a hipocrit if I didn't say that I bought them for a future High performance trans I will be putting together. The reybestos high energy frictions work just as good. Koleen's steels will also help. Use either the 8 clutch alto 3-4 clutch pack or use the reybestos Z-pack for the 3-4 clutch pack. The alto 9 clutch pack seem to be to thin and seems to burn up depending on the application.

Personally I have a newly rebuilt Gm trans featuring New gm clutches, new GM 5 pinion Front and Rear Planataries, a Gm Corvette servo, also has aluminum acumullator pistons. I will be installing in my own truck soon. I got it from a Gm tech that does all the Transmissions at his dealer. Now that I think about It I should install hardened pump rings.

The Trans Go HD-2 kit has alot of good upgrades in it
The Beast sunshell is a good upgrade.
The Trans Go hardened pump rings is a good Idea too. I would recomend the above 5500 rpm kit for any thing above stock.
Aluminum acumulator pistons vs. the stock plastic ones is a good upgrade.
Corvette servo Vs the Stock is a good upgrade.
Borgwarner HD 29 element dual sprag is good upgrade.

Out side of that I guess it's preferrence. Some things are more obvious then others when you build them for a liveing.

Last edited by 1FastBrick; 05-22-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Felt I should expand What I previously posted
Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

5 pinion planets are a waste of your budget for your goals. I would spend it elsewhere.

And there is a lot of mis-leading suggestions in this thread, just make sure you take advice from somebody who knows what they are doing.

And I always find it funny when somebody brings all the parts to a shop, and just has the shop do the build. If a shop knows how to make these things last, then they know what parts work. Besides most places care about quantity, not quality. They are just focused on the profit and the next job. Save your self a headache, search around before you spend a penny. Good luck!

Last edited by built408; 05-19-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Originally Posted by Cook
sell me yours kurt
yeah then ill really never drive my truck
Old 05-19-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
If you have it appart, you might as well put both Front and Rear GM 5 pinion planets in there. Check out the sponsers build list. It really depends on your overall goal's

Red alto clutches are not all that nesscassary. All though I would be a hipocrit if I didn't say that I bought them for a future trans I will be putting together. The reybestos high energy frictions work just as good. Kollen's steels will also help. Use either the 8 clutch alto 3-4 clutch pack not the 9 as there to thin or use the reybestos Z-pack for the 3-4 clutch pack.

I have a newly rebuilt Gm trans with GM 5 pinion Front and Rear Planataries, a Gm Corvette servo, also has an aluminum acumullator piston that I will be installing soon. I got it from a Gm tech that does all the Transmissions at his dealer.

The trans go HD-2 kit comes with the hardened pump rings larger boost valve and some other good stuff.
hd-2 kit has pump rings? i've never had it in my two kids hrmm.. is this in a newer edition?

Quick Reply: Building a 4L60E for ~350hp