Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Built 4L60E or 4L80E w/shift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:21 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Built 4L60E or 4L80E w/shift kit?

Ok guys, what should i do? I've got a good buddy thats willing to help me build up my 60e, it would be built like a Finishline Lvl 7 minus the 5 pinion planetary gears and billet shafts. All said and done it would cost me about 1100 bucks, not bad... BUT what would an 80e cost me, lets say if i found one for around 800 bucks, by the time i had all the parts i need to install? Also, as of now and prob for a couple years (unless my custom tuning really picks up lol) i'll be staying NA, with the exception of a cam,possibly heads and a small hit of giggle juice lol. Boost is something i'll probably do sooner or later.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stick with the 60e, but get the 5 pinion planetaries, they are only about $200 from PATC...

Your truck is small and lighter them most, being 2x4 and having 4.56 gears will really help the 60e live long "IF" Built right.

Make sure he doesn't remove the acc. springs. Going stiffer is ok, but never remove them or put spacers in.

Make sure to race in the D position, this takes alot of load off the forward sprag
Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
I would stick with the 60e, but get the 5 pinion planetaries, they are only about $200 from PATC...

Your truck is small and lighter them most, being 2x4 and having 4.56 gears will really help the 60e live long "IF" Built right.

Make sure he doesn't remove the acc. springs. Going stiffer is ok, but never remove them or put spacers in.

Make sure to race in the D position, this takes alot of load off the forward sprag
Thanks for the tips! We get all our parts from Dana @ Probuilt Automatics. He sure seems to know what he's doing. And my buddy, he's really smart! He built my brothers trans and its workin damn good. He's got a h/c/i Ls1 on spray in his truck, and his trans don't even notice the spray. My buddy drills a hole somewhere in the valvebody that allows the overrun clutches to engage in D and 3rd. Also, are those planet gears you're talkin about aftermarket? If so, they're made of weaker material and don't hold any more power than the stock 4 pinion's do.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:08 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Damn, i take that back on the planetary gears thing, now i'm not sure if it was aftermarket or stock one's that have the weaker material...
Old 11-11-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1FREEK
Damn, i take that back on the planetary gears thing, now i'm not sure if it was aftermarket or stock one's that have the weaker material...
It is the aftermarket carriers that are weak sauce. We had this discussion on GBSB!!!! The concept is easy, you have 5 pinions to be able to distribute the load rather than 4. Its obvious installing 5 pinions is ideal. I dont understand how this is an issue seeing this
Old 11-11-2010, 03:12 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 2BFAST
It is the aftermarket carriers that are weak sauce. We had this discussion on GBSB!!!! The concept is easy, you have 5 pinions to be able to distribute the load rather than 4. Its obvious installing 5 pinions is ideal. I dont understand how this is an issue seeing this
LOL yeah i wasn't trying to say that 5 pinions aren't better than 4, i was just implying that for 200 bucks, they were probably the weak ones. I might end up putting the 5's in, it all depends on how much money i'll have to play with when its actually time to buy. I do totally agree with you that the 5's are better. I do believe that Alan has another cryo'd output shaft that i'll also have him put in. I'm thinkin i'll be fine with the stock input shaft.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1FREEK
LOL yeah i wasn't trying to say that 5 pinions aren't better than 4, i was just implying that for 200 bucks, they were probably the weak ones. I might end up putting the 5's in, it all depends on how much money i'll have to play with when its actually time to buy. I do totally agree with you that the 5's are better. I do believe that Alan has another cryo'd output shaft that i'll also have him put in. I'm thinkin i'll be fine with the stock input shaft.
I got my GM rear carrier for $140 off of PATC
Old 11-11-2010, 06:06 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use the GM 5 pinion planets, the aftermarket 5 pinions are weaker than the factory 4 pinion.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the OEM 5 pinions are the best, they are mad from powdered metal, the aftermarket ones..just stay away from'em

Also if you are going to be revving past 6,000rpms get the HD pump slide spring, but if you are dealing with Dana then i'm sure he's hooking you up with all the must have parts.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:22 AM
Launching!

can i get a little explanation on the "race in D" comment made earlier? that'd be overdrive on these trucks, thought that was the less desirable position for launching. shouldn't it be "race in 3" to eliminate the overdrive? it has something to do with using a clutch pack to drive 1rst instead of just the sprags, right? would love the schooling, then we can return to the subject matter.

Quick Reply: Built 4L60E or 4L80E w/shift kit?