Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Bullet Proof 4L60E...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=MPFD;4502170 There are too many variables to put a HP # out there, like performajunk....[/QUOTE]

Bad experience with them? I'm just curious as I'm doing some research, PM if you want.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Teching In

i got me a kit from pro built automatics i would deff suggest going to his page as it is full of valuable information here is the link http://www.700r4l60e.com/ good luck with ur build but really in the long run i think the 4l80e is the better option
Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPFD
To put a horse power rating on a transmission is foolish. A N/A 500 hp motor is not going to put the same wear on a trans as a motor that makes 500 hp on spray, nor will a 500 hp turbo'd engine have the same characteristics as either above. FLT makes the best tranny on the market how long it lives is up to the use and driving habits of the owner...

My FLT has to contend with high 300 hp levels 90% of the time and low 500 hp levels 10% of the time. I'm not saying that I'm being easy on it, but it's not like I have 500-600 hp on tap like the FI guys. Thats why I like spray. But at the same time, when I leave the line I'm dropping the hammer on near 700 ft/lbs. Where a turbo'd car leaves softer and the power comes on in the R's. There are too many variables to put a HP # out there, like performajunk....

LMAO! Let me break this down for the kids! I wasnt asking if it will break at say 536hp but hold at 535hp! I was asking for a ball park figure for a N/A motor. So by what your saying and putting some sort of hp rating on a trans is "foolish", then it will hold up behind my 2000hp blown hemi HUH?! LMAO!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

If you have FLT do the build and add the stall while it's there. They'll dyno all together.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

weight makes the difference in the world when it comes to a tranny's life ( my .02's ) also how well you keep it cool or how cool it stays, i launch my truck just about every weekend the track is open at lease anywhere from 5 to 10 times a night sometimes more, theres many will vouche on how hard i run my truck, to the OP for what its worth i run a level 2 performabuilt have been for a few years now, my truck weighs 4016 with me in it, its pushing close to 500 to the wheels and never had an issue with it as of yet, the spray will be going on this weekend if weather permits.. now what happens after spraying it is another story if it fails then its still well worth what i paid for it a few years ago !!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Your right, heat will make or break a tranny quick. Im a firm believer in a good cooler and im even running a electric fan on my cooler.

Its all in how you drive. I was spraying 150hp to my stock tranny for awhile with a 3200 stall and NO cooler and never had problems.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:38 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 05RST2NV
LMAO! Let me break this down for the kids! I wasnt asking if it will break at say 536hp but hold at 535hp! I was asking for a ball park figure for a N/A motor. So by what your saying and putting some sort of hp rating on a trans is "foolish", then it will hold up behind my 2000hp blown hemi HUH?! LMAO!!!

OK let me break it down for you, the only thing that is more stupid then asking how much HP a trans will take is asking on a forum instead of calling and asking the company that sells it. So you are probably the biggest idiot I've ever met...

If you don't understand what I was trying get across in my last post, you are too stupid to be traveling as speeds over the posted legal limit, and should sell you truck and buy a smart car so others on the roadway will be alittle safer...

Last edited by MPFD; 07-20-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skeet
weight makes the difference in the world when it comes to a tranny's life ( my .02's ) also how well you keep it cool or how cool it stays, i launch my truck just about every weekend the track is open at lease anywhere from 5 to 10 times a night sometimes more, theres many will vouche on how hard i run my truck, to the OP for what its worth i run a level 2 performabuilt have been for a few years now, my truck weighs 4016 with me in it, its pushing close to 500 to the wheels and never had an issue with it as of yet, the spray will be going on this weekend if weather permits.. now what happens after spraying it is another story if it fails then its still well worth what i paid for it a few years ago !!
Vouches for Skeet beating the crap out of his truck...and still runs beautifully.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

OK let me break it down for you, the only thing that is more stupid then asking how much HP a trans will take is asking on a forum instead of calling and asking the company that sells it. So you are probably the biggest idiot I've ever met...

If you don't understand what I was trying get across in my last post, you are too stupid to be traveling as speeds over the posted legal limit, and should sell you truck and buy a smart car so others on the roadway will be alittle safer...
LMAO!!! I can pee farther than you and my smart car is faster than your "way to fast" Polaris! Its should be against the law for dumb ***** like to breed! LMFAO!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

OK let me break it down for you, the only thing that is more stupid then asking how much HP a trans will take is asking on a forum instead of calling and asking the company that sells it. ...
Not picking sides, but putting a horsepower rating on a transmission isnt the best way to go at it. Iv seen built transmissions fail with average horsepower going through them. Cant say its luck of the draw, but again it is when it comes to stock transmissions. With built ones it mainly depends on the builder and driving habbits. If the builder didnt check his clearences and tolerences, and you do 4th to 2nd downshifts, 3-4 WOT shifts, ect your decreasing its life.

Take it as you want, but posting "how much will this hold" and "how fast will this setup run" isnt the best things to ask on a forum. So many factors come to play in each.

Quick Reply: Bullet Proof 4L60E...?