Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Burnt trans fluid but tranny shifts fine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 307 Likes on 224 Posts

check if the trans lines are close to any exhaust pipes , maybe it is getting heated up then cooled down after passing through the cooler
Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think its the clutch in the converter going south?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by phasemaster1
Think its the clutch in the converter going south?
I think he picked up a converter and is going to change it out as it seems like a possibility.
Guess we will find out.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check cooler flow to make sure there is not a restriction. Should be about a quart in 15 seconds. Pull the return line and start it up, it's a 2 man job. I would also put a scanner on it and watch for TCC slippage, make sure it is fully locked up. One more thought, where is the trans temp located? The best place is in the cooler line going to the radiator, this is the hottest reading you can get. If you have a great cooling system, it might cover up a slipping problem by the time it gets back to the pan. Good luck.

Chris
Old 10-18-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Check cooler flow to make sure there is not a restriction. Should be about a quart in 15 seconds. Pull the return line and start it up, it's a 2 man job. I would also put a scanner on it and watch for TCC slippage, make sure it is fully locked up. One more thought, where is the trans temp located? The best place is in the cooler line going to the radiator, this is the hottest reading you can get. If you have a great cooling system, it might cover up a slipping problem by the time it gets back to the pan. Good luck.

Chris
Yeah, he has a new converter but i can log his truck tomorrow for him and watch everything to see whats going on. On the temp location it's the stock unit, not sure where that is exactly?
I've just watched his temps on hptuners and it has never been higher than 180 and it only got up that high in stop and go heavy traffic in the middle of summer.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Former Vendor

Stock trans temp is in the pan in the manifold pressure switch. Basically the same as a sensor in the pan.

Chris
Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Logged the truck, zero slip. No idea what is causing it to burn up fluid.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Former Vendor

You could still check cooler flow, but with a max temp of 180 that is probably not the problem. Could be a 3/4 clutch pack going and scorching the fluid but not slipping enough to feel or set a code.

Chris
Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Circle-D
You could still check cooler flow, but with a max temp of 180 that is probably not the problem. Could be a 3/4 clutch pack going and scorching the fluid but not slipping enough to feel or set a code.

Chris
This was my guess when I first read it but didn't say anything do to it being a wild guess. I had googled that builder and they use an extra clutch pack. With more clutches it would take longer for them to burn up and slip. They could be slipping and since there's so many you just haven't seen any slippage yet.

stock 4l60 I believe comes with 5. The one i had built for my blazer has Raybestos Z-PAK with 13 clutches. and I think the builder that did his had 7 Borg / Warner .065 hi energy frictions 3-4 clutch
Old 10-22-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Well i guess once it goes she will be getting a new tranny/rebuild. I doubt he is gonna have it torn apart just to see for now. I can at least tell him what you guys think the problem may be though, thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: Burnt trans fluid but tranny shifts fine?