Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Buying Shocks Soon.....thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Shocks Soon.....thoughts?

Its about that time to buy shocks for the truck. I have no kind of suspension mods and im on a budget. I wanna keep it well under $200. What are the best shocks for the price? Comments are welcome! Thanks guys.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

KYB's or Monroe Sensatracs or Monroe Reflex. The Reflex will work great for towing or hauling, or everyday use. The ride is a bit more stiff, but the handling and braking are a lot better. The truck does not nose dive when you brake, therefor makes braking better. The Reflex shock will actually place force on the momentum that it is traveling to slow that force down.
The Sesatracs are a good everyday driver type shock. Not the one you want if you tow or haul often.
I've used both on my previous 2000 ECSB 1500 Silverado. The Reflex's suited me a bit better than the Sensatracs. Nice shocks for the money.
KYB's I've just heard they were a great shock for the money. No personal experience on these.

Jim
Old 04-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Thanks. I forgot to specify. I would like a smoother ride from what i have now. I was thinking of going four link but hell thats too much mooolaaaah. I will haul once in a blue moon (once every 2-3 years) so im not worried about hauling. It would kick *** to be able to ride as smooth as my moms burban.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
KYB's or Monroe Sensatracs or Monroe Reflex. The Reflex will work great for towing or hauling, or everyday use. The ride is a bit more stiff, but the handling and braking are a lot better. The truck does not nose dive when you brake, therefor makes braking better. The Reflex shock will actually place force on the momentum that it is traveling to slow that force down.
The Sesatracs are a good everyday driver type shock. Not the one you want if you tow or haul often.
I've used both on my previous 2000 ECSB 1500 Silverado. The Reflex's suited me a bit better than the Sensatracs. Nice shocks for the money.
KYB's I've just heard they were a great shock for the money. No personal experience on these.

Jim
I agree. If you decide you want to spend more than $200, you can't go wrong with Bilstein Comfort ride shocks.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackLM7
I agree. If you decide you want to spend more than $200, you can't go wrong with Bilstein Comfort ride shocks.
I totally forgot about Bilsteins. They are a great shock as well, but I don't remember them being all that cheap. Isn't Bilstein what GM uses as O.E. shocks?

Jim
Old 04-17-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
I totally forgot about Bilsteins. They are a great shock as well, but I don't remember them being all that cheap. Isn't Bilstein what GM uses as O.E. shocks?

Jim
They used to use Bilstein on the OBS, but the NBS now use Monroe shocks.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:30 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zick
They used to use Bilstein on the OBS, but the NBS now use Monroe shocks.
The Z71 factory shocks are Tennaco's (the red ones)....I swapped mine out for Bilstein HD's and the ride is night and day. But yea, they are a bit pricey...
Old 04-17-2006, 09:34 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

just make sure their gas shocks IMO
Old 04-17-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by budhayes3
The Z71 factory shocks are Tennaco's (the red ones)....I swapped mine out for Bilstein HD's and the ride is night and day. But yea, they are a bit pricey...
Tennaco's (that sounds more familar), I could have swore they were Monroe shocks.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

I just bought some new takeoff blue tennacos for $50 off Ebay. Otherwise I was going to buy Bilsteins, I just couldn't pass up the $50 price.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Buying Shocks Soon.....thoughts?