Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

C5 transaxle in a truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Tahoe rear suspension setup would give you a nice ride and handling. At that rate, you might as well go with a custom 4-link setup though. I'll tell you this: No independent suspension is going to plant the tires on a truck. A C5 rear suspension doesn't have the ability to transfer torque to the chassis to plant the tires like a solid axle setup would. Even with slicks, I bet it'd just spin the crap out of them with the power you're making.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with vanilla, I think the only reason I would/was going to do it would be a.) different b.) handling
Old 02-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
A Tahoe rear suspension setup would give you a nice ride and handling. At that rate, you might as well go with a custom 4-link setup though. I'll tell you this: No independent suspension is going to plant the tires on a truck. A C5 rear suspension doesn't have the ability to transfer torque to the chassis to plant the tires like a solid axle setup would. Even with slicks, I bet it'd just spin the crap out of them with the power you're making.
believe it or not, some race tracks have corners. solid axle sucks. and there are plenty of factory trucks with independent rear suspensions. try thinking outside the box a little.

as for why? because i am looking for sportscar handling, but still have to haul my motorcycles.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TexasPainter
believe it or not, some race tracks have corners. solid axle sucks. and there are plenty of factory trucks with independent rear suspensions. try thinking outside the box a little.

as for why? because i am looking for sportscar handling, but still have to haul my motorcycles.
Factory fullsize with an IRS?!? Really? Since you enjoy the twisties, then you must now that antisquat is important when coming out of a corner. More so for a weight biased truck. Can't do that with an IRS. With that said, I've seen plenty of 4 link/torque arm solid axle cars clean up IRS cars by owners that think out of the box. You can actually change camber and tow with a solid axle. Check it out.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Banned

Factory fullsize with an IRS?!? Really? Since you enjoy the twisties, then you must now that antisquat is important when coming out of a corner. More so for a weight biased truck. Can't do that with an IRS. With that said, I've seen plenty of 4 link/torque arm solid axle cars clean up IRS cars by owners that think out of the box. You can actually change camber and tow with a solid axle. Check it out.
i love how everyone here thinks they are an expert on everything.

are you actually telling me that the corvette has no anti squat built into the rear suspension? man, the bad information that gets thrown around on this site is appalling.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

It does have some AS but, but when you slap it into a truck it might not. You might even have too much AS too given the longer wheelbase of truck. If you don't like this site....leave, nobody is keeping you here.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Banned

It does have some AS but, but when you slap it into a truck it might not. You might even have too much AS too given the longer wheelbase of truck. If you don't like this site....leave, nobody is keeping you here.
sorry man, you just have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not that everyone thinks they are world experts on everything, he is explaining his opinion. What gets thrown around a lot is when guys come in looking for advice but end up taking it the wrong way... Lighten up man it's just the interweb and everyone has their own thoughts! Oh yeah, and good luck on your build, hopefully it works out for ya!
Old 02-28-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking that the weight of the transmission being moved from the front to the rear would be very advantageous for a truck.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:00 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious how you can change camber with a solid axle? Doesn't seem possible without bending something or getting massive vibrations and leaks lol.

Quick Reply: C5 transaxle in a truck?