Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Calling all trans experts, need help fast...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:11 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts
Exclamation Calling all trans experts, need help fast...

So in installing my new engine, one of the torque converter bolts was rounded off. I spent probably 2 hours trying to get it out, but no luck, so I pulled my old engine out with the toque converter still bolted up to it. I supported the trans so it wouldnt just fall once the converter was loose. Anyway, finally got that bolt out after having to grind the head off and use vice grips on the stud once it was loose from the flexplate.

I go to install my new engine and notice I the converter isnt seated right, so I try to seat it fully (which was much more difficult than usual), but then when I go to spin it it binds and wont turn freely like it should. Thinking I screwed up the converter I put it on my stock 60e I still have and once I get it seated on there it spins freely although the internals look a little loose...

I pull my stock converter out of the box and seat it on my new trans....****** binds. Just like my nice one. However, I can reach up and spin the input shaft (small part) with my hand easily and without any binding.

So....any suggestions? If I cant figure this out I guess I will be putting my stock 60e and converter back in...
Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definitely should be able to get it all they way on (3 clicks) and be able to spin it.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:49 PM
I have a gauge for that

I can get it seated eventually, problem is when I do it binds after about half a rotation...
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the hub on the converter look? Do the slots that slide into the rotor look ok?
When you pull the trans out like that you either break the rotor in the pump, or score the front bushing when the hub pulls out.

I would inspect the front bushing very closely and make sure there are no nicks causing the converter to bind. If you have a very thin pick, you can manually turn the rotor in the pump. It should have some resistance, but should turn over fairly easy. Just try not to damage the front seal when you do so. Pics would help.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man that sucks.. i bet you damaged the pump.... i damaged one before... just dropped it off at a trans shop and he rebuilt the pump for 100 bucks...
Old 08-11-2010, 09:09 PM
I have a gauge for that

The slots on the converter look good, no nicks or obvious damage, just the second gear set, I dont know the technical name but its around 3 or 4 inches in the converter and is the larger diameter, is a bit loose whereas my stock verter is tight.

Could you be more specific about the front bushing and where to turn the rotor....transmissions are something I dont know that intimately...

Also, which shaft is connected to the pump on the trans, the smaller inner one or larger outer one? I can turn the smaller one by hand easily.

Last edited by Atomic; 08-11-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

The smaller one is the input shaft, it should turn rather easy.

The larger of the two is the stator shaft, it is bolted/pressed into the pump and shouldn't turn. It splines in to the stator in the converter.

Right behind the front seal of the trans, is a bushing that helps support the converter. Check for any nicks or scoring.

Right behind that bushing you should see the rotor. There should be two visible tabs, these tabs slide into the two tabs on the converter. You can get a very fine pick and try to turn it over. If it doesn't move, you've damaged the pump. Just be very carefull not to damage the front seal.

Does the converter acutually lock up, and won't turn at all once seated? Or does it just feel too tight?

And the part you are describing in the converter, is probably the stator. They are suppose to move around some, they are held in place by the stator tube once installed.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your torque converter hub with the two notches in it turn the pump. use a flash light look where the hub goes in to your transmission you should see two ears that is your pump drive see if you see any damage.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:29 PM
I have a gauge for that

Once its fully seated, I can turn it approximately 150 degrees in either direction before it binds and I cant turn it any further, even with a lot of force (by hand). Once it stops from binding and I turn it the other direction there is a slight clunk sound from the trans.

Right now the I have the engine sitting about 6 to 8 inches in front of the trans because I had already reconnected the AC compressor, and its impossible to get my head in there to get a straight view of the input shaft. I guess tomorrow I will go ahead and pull the trans and put the stocker back in there for now.... wonder how long itll hold up to a blown 408 I will also call Frank in the morning and see what he thinks..

Thanks for the help. That damn bolt is getting really expensive.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 AM
I have a gauge for that

Pulled the trans this morning. One of the tabs on the pump is completely broken off, and I cant spin the pump via the other one at all. FML.

Quick Reply: Calling all trans experts, need help fast...