Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Cammed and lifted 06 silverado stall converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cammed and lifted 06 silverado stall converter

New here and this is my first post so I’m not sure if this is the right thread or not but anyways,

I recently bought a 06 Silverado 5.3 crew cab with a 7 inch lift and ford keys on 37’s and it has a performabuilt heavy hauler trans with a tbss toque converter, it also has a stage 4 Texas speed cam and supporting mods.

My question is, do I need a different stall converter? the cam recommends a 3000+ stall but I’ve seen lifted trucks would benefit with a shorter stall (not sure if that’s true) I’m just wondering if I would be better off with a higher stall or shorter stall, it is daily driven as of right now until I get a car and I live in a city so it is highway driven too. I do not tow anything and it is meant to be a fun truck maybe race someone or sometimes go mudding, random stuff like that. I like the chop of the cam and I do plan on maybe adding more HP down the line but not a lot, max 600

I don’t know much about trans stuff and am actively trying to learn about it as much as possible so any help would be appreciated
Old 06-14-2024, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 207 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 06WTCE
New here and this is my first post so I’m not sure if this is the right thread or not but anyways,

I recently bought a 06 Silverado 5.3 crew cab with a 7 inch lift and ford keys on 37’s and it has a performabuilt heavy hauler trans with a tbss toque converter, it also has a stage 4 Texas speed cam and supporting mods.

My question is, do I need a different stall converter? the cam recommends a 3000+ stall but I’ve seen lifted trucks would benefit with a shorter stall (not sure if that’s true) I’m just wondering if I would be better off with a higher stall or shorter stall, it is daily driven as of right now until I get a car and I live in a city so it is highway driven too. I do not tow anything and it is meant to be a fun truck maybe race someone or sometimes go mudding, random stuff like that. I like the chop of the cam and I do plan on maybe adding more HP down the line but not a lot, max 600

I don’t know much about trans stuff and am actively trying to learn about it as much as possible so any help would be appreciated
What torque converter stall speed do you have? Also, need to know the gear ratio of the axles.

Welcome to the forum BTW!
Old 06-15-2024, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,276 Likes on 973 Posts

You absolutely need a different torque converter lol
Old 06-15-2024, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by shakenfake
You absolutely need a different torque converter lol
What would you recommend? I’ve seen a lot about circle d converters would a 3000 or 3200 be a good fit? Thank you
Old 06-15-2024, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by strutaeng
What torque converter stall speed do you have? Also, need to know the gear ratio of the axles.

Welcome to the forum BTW!
Thank you for the welcome and the guy said it’s a tbss converter (google search tells me that means trailblazer ss converter) and he said “it's about 1800 stall give or take” I’m guessing he wasn’t the one who put it in or maybe he doesn’t know much just like me. And the gearing is stock 3.73 but I plan to put 4.56~ (is this a good gear ratio for 37’s and the cam?) in the not so distant future to make up for the big tires and front diff is blown so it’s sitting in my garage right now

My guess is I definitely do because the cam calls for a 3000+ but I wanted confirmation before I get it tuned correctly so I don’t need to have it tuned a second time after I get a new stall

Another thing to note is the truck stalls after it is warmed up and I come to a stop to fast or put it in reverse and don’t feather the gas. From what I know that is a tuning mistake but idk much about stall converters so idk if that is the reason or both are.
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 04:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 461 Likes on 361 Posts

Probably needs a stall around 2600. If you go too big your fuel economy will be terrible. I just took out my 3600 and replaced it with a 2850. My mileage went from 6 with the 3600 on the highway to 14. If you daily it do not go over 3000 or your wallet will hate you from fuel bills.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Which "Stage 4" cam; the truck one, or the car one? 2 very different things.

The TBSS converter isn't materially different from any other stock converter. They all stall at around 1750 or thereabouts behind a 5.3.

I just recently put a 2800 stall from Yank in my 5.3 Av. Stock cam, 3.73 gears, only significant mod is LTs. Seems OK if a little bit more than I thought I was going to get. Gas mileage is about the same as the stock one, maybe even a little better actually, since I put it in at the same time as a new transmission, and it seems that the TCC PWM is disabled in this trans. Yours won't change much, if at all; especially not on the highway; the lockup clutch still renders it metallic at cruising speeds, just like the stock converter.

the truck stalls ... and don’t feather the gas.
Yes definitely a tuning problem. The converter won't affect the tune very much, so don't let that stop you from getting that taken care of.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,276 Likes on 973 Posts

You probably have an I6 Trailblazer converter. Not a tbss which is the same asany other converter
Old 06-15-2024, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 207 Likes on 166 Posts

I thought the "symptoms" of a torque converter stall speed being the too low for a cam was surging at idle? Something like that?

3.73s are most definitely OEM gears. Good/decent for towing in stock form. 4.56s I think would be good for your tire size

That Trailblazer TC is used as a "budget" TC for getting slightly higher stall speed. In this case, it won't cut it.

I would call an aftermarket TC place like Circle D, and tell them all your specs like cam lift, duration, LSA, transmission, axle ratio (the one you'll change to, of course) and tire size and they'll tell you which stall speed they recommend. There's even stories of some salesmans pushing a certain type of product, so would not hurt to call more than one place as sanity check.

Maybe I missed it, but were there any other mods to the truck? Maybe it was just a wild cam budget job? This is a 4x4 truck, I assume?

Last edited by strutaeng; 06-15-2024 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 06WTCE
This is a terrible combo for a big heavy lifted truck.
You need at least a 2800 stall.

And then, as stated, this entire combo is wrong for this truck.

Quick Reply: Cammed and lifted 06 silverado stall converter