Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

can u make the drop as smooth as stock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can u make the drop as smooth as stock?

is there any way to make your lowered truck as smooth(or close to) stock?
Old 01-23-2005, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hyper
is there any way to make your lowered truck as smooth(or close to) stock?

I don't know how low you want to go but I lowered my 00 GMC 2/4 (A-arm & shackle / hanger) and it rides like stock. The springs did not change so it stands to reason.
I reccommend a c-notch for the rear as it rode like crap and was always bottoming out even with 1" pancake bumpstops in the rear. Once I notched it it rides great.

LK
Old 01-23-2005, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Yes, ride will be like stock if you just displace the stock springs/components (ie. spindle/hanger+shackle)
Old 01-23-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one has mentioned anything about drop shocks. Would not keeping the stock shocks with a drop make the ride bumpy and rard?
Old 01-23-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tiburon
No one has mentioned anything about drop shocks. Would not keeping the stock shocks with a drop make the ride bumpy and rard?
I used stockers up front because nothing has changed as far a length. I did replace my rears with air shocks just so when I need to haul something. It rides pretty much like stock.
I know it does not lay frame or anything fancy but my wife does not complain so it must ride pretty close to stock. lol

LK
Old 01-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Teching In

I have a DJM CALMAX 1 KIT on my 00 and it is basically a 2/4 and it rides just like stock but it does have that lean
Old 01-23-2005, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tiburon
Yeah, if you use drop shocks they will be stiffer. With a 2-4 you can get away with the stock shocks - especially with spindles since the only thing changed is the hub is moved up 2".

An alternative might be some shorter adjustable shocks like HAL's, which are pricy but you could set them to any firmness.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

im thinking of doing a 4/6... cuz it just seems like a waste to sacrifice the ride for a 2/4, id rather just stay stock. but i duno
Old 01-24-2005, 06:41 AM
TECH Veteran

If you keep your stock springs you should retain "most" of the stock ride. Shocks would play a big role though and shocks for lowered vehicles are usually stiffer. You could try some Edelbrock shocks though. I've heard that they are a little smoother than most.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:45 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will start by saying that I've owned nothing but slammed and/or bagged trucks for the last 10 years.

Lowering my truck DJM 4/6 didn't really affect the ride in a negative way since the drop is all control arms--you keep the factory springs and shocks up front. The flip kit did away with the "spongy" feeling I got from the rear. The ride is a bit stiffer, but in my eyes that's good. The factory ride was too springy for my tastes. The only complaint that I have is a good amount of bumpsteer.

Keep in mind that I like lowered trucks, so my view may be skewed just slightly, but even people who ride in my truck comment on how much better it rides than they would have ever thought it would.

Quick Reply: can u make the drop as smooth as stock?