Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Carrier Bearing Relocator Bracket... Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carrier Bearing Relocator Bracket... Worth It?

I did the carrier bearing relocator bracket today. It raised the driveshaft a lot higher than I wanted!!!
What do I do now??? A little late to bring down to stock hidth. The welded bracket is cut off now.
I would have never done it knowing it wasn't going to be adjustable from stock hidth on up. Hell, it's a whole 1-1/2" higher at the lowest available setting.
The low speed shudder between 15-19mph was a bit less noticeable, but the vibration is still there at hard accelerations. I'm really not sure if this helped or made things worse. I still have a working angle of 4 to 4-1/2* at the u-joints right after the carrier bearing. GM says 4* is maximum and 1* is minimum.
Anyone done this before? Mine is the McGaughy carrier bearing relocator bracket.

Jim
Old 11-27-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like you'll be needing some 2 1/2- 3* shims. I went to advance last week while I was off and asked about them, They had no clue! they just finished an auto zone down the road, I'll try there. When you decide on an angle let me know.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FastCrewCab4x4
Sounds like you'll be needing some 2 1/2- 3* shims. I went to advance last week while I was off and asked about them, They had no clue! they just finished an auto zone down the road, I'll try there. When you decide on an angle let me know.
Update: the carrier bearing relocator bracket actually raised it up 2".
I flipped the bracket upside down (it's not designed to work this way) and found that my u-joint angles were a lot better and even in specs. It lowered it 1/2". Though my pinion angle is 2* off. I will be having a custom adjustable bracket fabricated to allow full range adjustability of the carrier bearing.
Then I will easily be able to get my driveline perfected.
Went for a test drive, and almost all of the vibrations were gone.
This is great news as I've been trying to fix this for over a month now.
If I come down another 1/2" on the carrier bearing and place 2* shims in the leaf packs to angle down the pinion, it should be right on the money.
I feel a lot better now!

Jim