Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Carrier Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I think your pinion depth is too deep not shallow. IMO
Old 01-14-2007, 12:15 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Great looking setup. Hope I can get there. Going back in with all the current shims. If I don't get a good pattern, like your pic, with .004 - .006 backlash is where I will run into problems.
Post your patterns....we can help you get there!
Old 01-14-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by closet red neck
Ok, this is what I did. New gears, install the pinion bearing onto the pinion gear until it bottoms out. Install the new crush sleeve onto the pinion shaft. Install the pinion shaft into the carrier and install the outer bearing, flat washer & pinion nut, tighten the nut just to hold the pinion shaft in place(you will know when that is). Install the carrier with the races, bearings(should be pressed on) and the stock shims(just how you took them out). You can leave the stock shims in the pinion shaft and the carrier in the order that they were in. Set your BL to what the instructions say for that gear manuf. I have .012 in my gears. My gears are Motive and they recommended .008 to .012. Now, from what I went through on this, the Chevy gears like alot of lash, Fords not so much and don't care about Dodge. When you tighten up the crush sleeve, you will get a "deeper"(more to the outside of the gear) pattern when you tighten up or crush the sleeve. I'm no expert on this, but I went through hell and back on my LSD.

I hope some of helps.

James
Yes it does help. I read your posts. Especially difficult getting it not to leak anymore best I remember.

I was hoping someone would speak to how they went about easily working the set up of the pinion shims should I need to. I don't have a press and pulling and pressing pinion bearings to change out shims would be a PITA considering I would have to have a press or run back and forth to one.

I've found some pinion bearings you can buy that will just slide on and off the pinion by hand to aid setup. If I need to, I think I will just hone the old bearings I take off the pinion until I can just slide them on and off the new pinion. What I don't understand yet is how important the pinion bearing preload is in getting the pinion depth. IE I get a good pattern with old bearings, races and crush sleeve the I press on new bearings with new races will it change the pattern during the final install.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the pinion is seated all the way with the old bearings then you should be fine with new ones as long as they are seated correctly also. The old bearings can onlybe pushed so far down on the pinion since there is a little lip where it seats and when you press on the new bearing then it will seat against that same lip. Good luck, I dont ahve the patience to set up a rear end I get pissed too easily
Old 01-14-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah I'm running out of patience just with the tear down. Not even to the REAL patience testing. The setup. As usual I'm tool challenged, making trips back and forth to the parts places buying tools. Now I'm hung on getting the dang bearing off the old pinion. The puller I got yesterday isn't getting it done
Old 01-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most normal parts stores can press the bearing off and throw the new on for you. I know the O'Reillys down here does it. Im tool challenged too, but just think eventually you will have every tool you could ever need(atleast thats what I tell myself lol). One thing is for sure though once you do get it done you will have a big feeling of accomplishment and atleast it isnt your DD. We are VERY lucky in that aspect. Keep on posting questions and Im sure between all of us we can get you lined out
Old 01-14-2007, 04:00 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting the bearings pressed on once is fine, but his problem is, that everytime he sets up the rear end and then has to make a change to the pinion shim, thuis requires teh bearing to be pressed off, the shim changed, then the bearing repressed on.

Some people just use the same shims that came in the dif. If the pattern and backlash are ok then this is fine. But so many people just remove then replace the dif. without CHECKING, then tehy wonder why the rear end failed????

If you increase the diameter of an old pinion bearing so that it slides on and off the pinion gear, this will help you out considerably. But I am wondering if the old bearing and new pinion bearing would have a different setup result??? Probably a little bit as eeh older bearings are worn in, just take this tiny difference into account when you go to install teh new bearing.

I just installed a 3.42 G80 rear this weekend. I used the original side and pinion shims out of the donor case and I got a perfect pattern and 0.006" backlash. the dif is silent.

peace
Hog
Old 01-14-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by introligator
Actually I think your pinion depth is too deep not shallow. IMO
Well I own those parts but I don't own that setup... GM does. Thats just it I really don't know. If I were to get the new setup in and get a pattern like that I would be wanting to do something, probably the wrong something.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hog
If you increase the diameter of an old pinion bearing so that it slides on and off the pinion gear, this will help you out considerably. But I am wondering if the old bearing and new pinion bearing would have a different setup result??? Probably a little bit as eeh older bearings are worn in, just take this tiny difference into account when you go to install teh new bearing.

I just installed a 3.42 G80 rear this weekend. I used the original side and pinion shims out of the donor case and I got a perfect pattern and 0.006" backlash. the dif is silent.

peace
Hog
Exactly.... May not have to worry about it now as far as the old bearings are concerned anyway. I may have messed the large pinion bearing up trying to get it off the pinion. Guess I am going to get them to a shop and put the new bearings and old shim on the new pinion and cross my fingers. If it doesn't look good I'll go ahead and buy a new identical set of bearings and hone them for the trial and error work.

I have read every install instruction I can find. SEVERAL note that they have great success with this rear and using the original shims. We will see.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 67SS509
Post your patterns....we can help you get there!
Hey thanks, I will take you guys up on it.

Quick Reply: Carrier Install Questions