Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Carrier Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Most normal parts stores can press the bearing off and throw the new on for you. I know the O'Reillys down here does it. Im tool challenged too, but just think eventually you will have every tool you could ever need(atleast thats what I tell myself lol). One thing is for sure though once you do get it done you will have a big feeling of accomplishment and atleast it isnt your DD. We are VERY lucky in that aspect. Keep on posting questions and Im sure between all of us we can get you lined out
You are right, I'm glad its not my DD and can sit just like it is in the garage until I can get it done and right.

The housing is completely stripped down and clean. Think I'll at least get the new races in tonight. Other than that I am done for the day. No place to take the pinion and carrier for the bearing replacements. I'll make some calls tomorrow and find out where I can get it done.

Need to hit the dealership, maybe they will do it. I need a new pinion nut and a second crush sleeve might come in handy. The pinion nut that came with the install kit isn't the same as the stocker I took off.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I reused the stocker 3 times with no problems and 40K miles on it since its been touched.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, when you take the pinion gear out, leave the stock pinion shims in the case. Leave the front pinion bearing and race in. Hell, leave the rear race for the pinion gear in also. Just r&r the bearing. If there isn't any metal shaving then the races are probably fine. When I did mine(or a buddy did) I left the pinion shims in and reused the carrier shims also. Just make sure that the "carrier" races and bearings fir the case!!! The most improtant thing is make sure the carrie races fit the case and the carrier bearings fit the races!! Use all of the other shims. Just because you bought the rebuild kit(waste of money) doesn't mean you have to use everything.

James
Old 01-14-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I reused the stocker 3 times with no problems and 40K miles on it since its been touched.
Stocker pinion nut?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by closet red neck
Hey, when you take the pinion gear out, leave the stock pinion shims in the case. Leave the front pinion bearing and race in. Hell, leave the rear race for the pinion gear in also. Just r&r the bearing. If there isn't any metal shaving then the races are probably fine. When I did mine(or a buddy did) I left the pinion shims in and reused the carrier shims also. Just make sure that the "carrier" races and bearings fir the case!!! The most improtant thing is make sure the carrie races fit the case and the carrier bearings fit the races!! Use all of the other shims. Just because you bought the rebuild kit(waste of money) doesn't mean you have to use everything.

James
Too late. Old races have been out for a long time. I dunno but I have always read never use a new bearing with an old race. I will be using stock shims except for the pinion shim. It got damaged.

Got the trans side pinion race in. New bearing and race for the rearward pinion is different than the stocker. So definitely gone to the dealer tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Stocker pinion nut?
Yup..
Old 01-14-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Got the damn bearing off the old pinion. It is a 37 shim under it. One of the new pinion bearings and race don't match what came off. Has the correct inner diameter and the race has the same OD the bearing is just deeper. Looks like the same O.L.

Note to self... take these to machine shops if there is a next time.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doesn't that bearing go on the other way??? Put the stock shim in and go have that bearing pressed on.

James
Old 01-14-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also it doesn't matter if the races are different, just make sure they fit the case. You took the old races out??? That old race looks fine.

James
Old 01-14-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

The bearing on the pinion is just sitting there, posing It is going the right way. The old bearing I took out is screwed. I am going to make sure the new bearing is right. You can see it is different but I think it will work. Gonna make sure. Maybe they changed them over time or ran out on the line or something. I screwed up the stock shim taking the old bearing off. Bent it up and burrs on it. I'll be using the same thickness shim from the shim pack I got.

Quick Reply: Carrier Install Questions