Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Carrier Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As you can see these so-called master rebuild kits are BS, if I EVER have to do a rear again I will tear it down take all bearings and races to an autoparts store and have them match them. Your little endeavor is turning into a big PITA aint it?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Too late. Old races have been out for a long time. I dunno but I have always read never use a new bearing with an old race. I will be using stock shims except for the pinion shim. It got damaged.

Got the trans side pinion race in. New bearing and race for the rearward pinion is different than the stocker. So definitely gone to the dealer tomorrow.
This is true but if the races don't have any discoloration, scratches or imperfections, reuse them. Yes you shouldn't reuse the races but it's not like using old piston rings with a fresh block.

James
Old 01-15-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Got the damn bearing off the old pinion. It is a 37 shim under it. One of the new pinion bearings and race don't match what came off. Has the correct inner diameter and the race has the same OD the bearing is just deeper. Looks like the same O.L.

Note to self... take these to machine shops if there is a next time.

Here's the deal, mic the inner race seating area in the case where the stock race was, if the case is wide enough to accomodate the new race, then put it in there. Here is what I have found out from my little excursion. The manufacture machines the cases to whatever bearing and races they have sitting on the bench when they assemble these thing. That's why none of these so called "master rebuild kits" work. I bought the same thing as you did and only used the carrier bearing and races out of the kit. Everything else are paper weights. Are you sure the bearing is going the right way??? I thought that the pointed end goes to the top (which will face the trans) because the pinion shaft will slide in from the rear and then go forward.

James
Old 01-15-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by closet red neck
Here's the deal, mic the inner race seating area in the case where the stock race was, if the case is wide enough to accomodate the new race, then put it in there. Here is what I have found out from my little excursion. The manufacture machines the cases to whatever bearing and races they have sitting on the bench when they assemble these thing. That's why none of these so called "master rebuild kits" work. I bought the same thing as you did and only used the carrier bearing and races out of the kit. Everything else are paper weights. Are you sure the bearing is going the right way??? I thought that the pointed end goes to the top (which will face the trans) because the pinion shaft will slide in from the rear and then go forward.

James
The case will accept the wider race and it is the correct size bearing just a different style. It's being pressed on as I type this. The difference being the new bearing will be a PITA to get pressed off as it doesn't have a lip to catch and press off.

The bearing on the pinion is the small one that sits directly behind the yoke and is facing the right direction. The one laying on the table is the larger one being pressed on and it will face the oppoisite direction as the one sitting on the pinion.

Last edited by KySilverado; 01-15-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Bearings are on, new races in and the pinion is in the rear and feels great. Don't trust my luck so I am mocking it up to see the mesh pattern before I put all the new stuff in. Used the old crush sleeve, without the new seal. Oiled down the new bearings, torqued down the pinion nut till the bearing pre-load felt like the old.

Should have the carrier in after supper. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lowering kit is going to be done before breakfast then right. I need pics.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gao8302
Lowering kit is going to be done before breakfast then right. I need pics.
LOL, yeah right! Get this done, then install the front diff. Front LCA's and then rear shackles and hangers. Maybe by lunch tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Figured it was worth a shot