Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Cart in front of the horse question????

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cart in front of the horse question????

I got ahead of myself and installed the HD2 shift kit today. I am sure it will take a week or so to get my re-tune to lower line pressure from a previous tune.

So do you think it will be OK to drive with the shift kit until then? Will my higher pressure settings hurt anything or just make it shift firmer?

I obviously will not be hammering on it until I get a re-tune.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is hard to say,it depends on how much the line pressure was increased in the tune.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wheatley
It is hard to say,it depends on how much the line pressure was increased in the tune.
I have an Auto Tap scanner, can I find out using this? It is tuned for firmer shifts for towing but not harsh.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not go WOT untill line pressure was adjusted... But like Charlie stated, it's hard to say without looking at your tune...
Old 11-29-2009, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FILE
I would not go WOT untill line pressure was adjusted... But like Charlie stated, it's hard to say without looking at your tune...
Yeah, I guess my question is, under normal driving 1/2 throttle max is it possible to blow seals with a kit and a slight increase in line pressure?

I know you cannot answer for sure becasue we dont know what my line pressure is.

Thanks anyways.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:32 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried to drive it to see how hard it really shifts? As stated it will shift firmer than it should. However at wot the transmission is only going to make the pressure it is capable of making. Even with tuning the max pressure can not be increased only reduced. If you are not going to get a tune for a while you could always put the factory boost valve and pressure regulator springs back in until you are closer to getting your tune done. If that makes sense. Vince
Old 11-30-2009, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Have you tried to drive it to see how hard it really shifts? As stated it will shift firmer than it should. However at wot the transmission is only going to make the pressure it is capable of making. Even with tuning the max pressure can not be increased only reduced. If you are not going to get a tune for a while you could always put the factory boost valve and pressure regulator springs back in until you are closer to getting your tune done. If that makes sense. Vince
I havnt drove it yet as I was unsure if even driving it easy could harm it, due to over pressure (increased line pressure and shift kit mod). I will get the tune within the next week or two.