Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ceramic Pads Warping Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ceramic Pads Warping Rotors?

Hi Guys,

I am currently running Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors. I would say they warp a little less easier than the OE.
I am running OE pads.

How they warp is when my Radar detector or Laser jammer activate while doing some, ahem, sport driving and I have to bring her down fast.

Then I get the high frequency low amplitude humm indicating I have got them too hot. If I do too many of these slowdowns they will get worse.

So I get an 02 Dodge Grand Caravan work vehicle and service the brakes turning the rotors and installing ceramic pads. Soon after I had to make a panic stop from 75mph on interstate and they warped so bad it frightened me to the point I believed a wheel was loose.
I turned the rotors and it repeated. I went with a better Rotor and it repeated but not as bad.

The parts counter guy told me it was the pads and we went with a non ceramic pad and Wala! And it stops just as good too. I went out and tried to warp them simulating the conditions and it would not repeat.

So, I am asking here about some other options than the 100.00 + pads I get from GM. In 05 they really made the brakes work nice and I don't want to take away from it. What do you guys like?

As far as my driving habits, I know someone is going to say something. I am an investigator. I have to follow subjects and or need to get someplace FAST at times. The panic stops on interstate are the classic 18 wheeler changing lanes and using the turn signal simultaneously. I mean why bother with the turn signal if your already turning.