Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Changing rear diff. fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spoon98hatch
yeah I got the cover off, along with the fill hole, and I'm cleaning it up now before I re-install it

thanks for the help

so my next question is, do I fill the diff. until it leaks out the hole? or do I leave it 1/2" from the bottom of the fill hole?
I could have swore I gave you all the info on the first page... don't sweat this out man, it's easy.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Owners manual says to fill it to about 1/2" below the hole...
Old 07-08-2006, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I still went by what u said.

I just finished about 30mins ago, so thanks a lot to everyone for helpin me out. it really wasn't that hard, but I just like to know exactly what i'm doing before I start to undertake a project.

no leaks so far and everything looks good.

thanks again

-John
Old 07-09-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

According to the 2003 Silverado Owner's Manual for the Rear Axle, How to Check Lubricant p.5-55 " The proper level for the 1500 Series is from 5/8 inch to 1 5/8 inch below the bottom of the filler plug hole."

I am not sure if filling it to the bottom of the filler plug hole will cause any problems with expansion and potential leaking or not.

Edit: Well a day late and a $$ short I guess.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

well I read about a guy that had a problem with expansion and leaking out, so he just unscrewed the fill plug, and it basically pushed out all the excess, and he's never had that problem since, but we'll see
Old 07-09-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjhoward
You don't need that additive due to your differential being a mechanical unit with no clutches. Some aftermarket fluids come with friction modifier in there already, just fyi. If you have a clutched posi, like an Eaton, if you don't have the additive in there the clutches will grab when you go around a corner. It chatters bassically, as they are trying to resist slipping rather than slip smoothly in the corner.
Good luck!
So, what kind of fluid do you use with an Eaton locker??? I might have put the wrong stuff in!!!!!

James
Old 07-09-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by closet red neck
So, what kind of fluid do you use with an Eaton locker??? I might have put the wrong stuff in!!!!!

James
Like I said, most good rear dope's say on them that they are compatible with clutched posi rear ends meaning they already have the friction modifier in it. If not you can purchase the additive at most parts stores. K&W(I think) is the company most parts houses sell. It comes in a tube and is usually near the rear end dope. You can also get it from the dealer. But if yours doesn't chatter when you go around a corner you shouldn't have any problem.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjhoward
Like I said, most good rear dope's say on them that they are compatible with clutched posi rear ends meaning they already have the friction modifier in it. If not you can purchase the additive at most parts stores. K&W(I think) is the company most parts houses sell. It comes in a tube and is usually near the rear end dope. You can also get it from the dealer. But if yours doesn't chatter when you go around a corner you shouldn't have any problem.
Thanks for the info!!!!! My wife is @ Wal-mart NOW and she only knows brands.....so what do you recommend!! Synthetic or not?? Hurry....please!!! Don't know if it chatters or not.....radio is always blasting

James
Old 07-09-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am unsure if synthetics are ok in clutched units. I haven't ran one in years and when I did I used the cheap **** with an additive. Someone posted earlier in the thread about not using synthics or something of that sort. Just make sure the fluid says somewhere on it that it is compatible with limited slip differentials. If it chatters you should be able to feel it as well.