Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Changing Rear Suspension Plans

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2020 | 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
I wasn't really looking at an easy way out over hangers.
The problem seems to be with the Caltracs and hangers being used together.
One guy here said that the Caltracs bar actually hits his overload spring causing it to unload the suspension, which causes the tires to break loose.
The other issue is with the Caltracs not clearing the hangers, then causing the suspension to bind.
I really can't figure out why the Caltracs bar would hit the overload spring on the stock leafs. The guys using factory hangers and factory leafs don't have problems. The angle from the lower portion of the axle to the front eye of the leaf spring isn't changing with different hangers. So that would mean that all Caltrac owners would have this problem. IMO
I would have thought the Belltech leafs would have had great feed back, but it looks like they are getting bad feed back.

I don't know what to do...........
remove the overload leaf. Install a quality flip kit, like western chassis. They sell the strongest one with the best steel and hardware. Run stock hangers and solid aluminum leaf spring bushings in the front spring eyelets. Stock shackles. I like to use a 1 or 2” longer drop shackle on the passenger side only on all my lowered trucks.

relocated shocks will get the thing to ride decent. Or for a temporary fix, run Viking adjustable shocks on the softest setting.
Old 02-23-2020 | 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

where was you 14 years ago......

back from the dead lol