Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

chasing a whinning noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default chasing a whinning noise

been trying to figure out this rear end whine for awhile and getting tired of it. rebuilt my rear end with usa standard gears detroit lsd and all new bearings and had a slight whinning to it. friend who build said backlash and everything was perfectly in-spec , had him pull it apart 2 more times to check it out with no luck, got a motive gear set with new timkin bearing and did u-joints at the same time and it seemed to go away for awhile then came back and has recently gotten worse...only makes the noise under load, whether it be accelerating or on decel but if put in N it doesnt. have played around with pinion angle and u-joints are all tight and so is the pinion. could it be in the tranmission? should i go to a factory gear? what next
Old 01-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to pin point it to actually coming from the rear.. The lash should be checked in a few areas of the gear.. Some gear sets are just noise..
Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 AM
The House is Rockin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe somebody installed a rear mount turbo on your truck, without you knowing it.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 14psisupra
been trying to figure out this rear end whine for awhile and getting tired of it. rebuilt my rear end with usa standard gears detroit lsd and all new bearings and had a slight whinning to it. friend who build said backlash and everything was perfectly in-spec , had him pull it apart 2 more times to check it out with no luck, got a motive gear set with new timkin bearing and did u-joints at the same time and it seemed to go away for awhile then came back and has recently gotten worse...only makes the noise under load, whether it be accelerating or on decel but if put in N it doesnt. have played around with pinion angle and u-joints are all tight and so is the pinion. could it be in the tranmission? should i go to a factory gear? what next
Thats terrible man. What a painful and expensive deal.

I'm in a similar situation, installed a set of USA Standard gears, had it resetup 3 times with good patterns and the audible whine at light throttle between 40-50mph remains. Haven't tried another set of gears but had planned to obtain a set of factory gears and new bearings from Ron in the near future.

IMHO some gears are noisey is pittiful. Seems hard to believe that would be acceptable when setup correctly.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:51 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yukon Gears FTW! I hate gear noise.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

well a little update for future ref. been running vavoline 75-90 or whatever which a shop told me was synthetic and they have been having problems with that tearing up gears but havent had any real proof(reputable shop recommended from here, and they do great work)? got an oem set and some 85-140 and shes good as new, the guy who has been rebuilding it always said it had a good pattern but the last time we took it apart looked weird like something he has never seen before( he usually build 18 wheeler rears and trans)

so finally its quiet after almost a year..anyone ever heard of this?