Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

cheap suspension upgrade questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap suspension upgrade questions...

i want to improve my trucks handling and stance. first thing to go is the trucks' high rear end height. now, since it is a 2500HD, would i be able to swap out the current leaf springs for a set from a 1500 to lower it a few inches with no problems?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure on the HDs but i think you have a 2" lift block in the rear you can take out.

is your truck 2wd or 4x4?

how low do you want to go?

is ride quality(smoothness) more important or is handling more important?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by nightrunner
not sure on the HDs but i think you have a 2" lift block in the rear you can take out.

is your truck 2wd or 4x4?

how low do you want to go?

is ride quality(smoothness) more important or is handling more important?
it's a 2wd, long bed reg cab. if i do have a 2" block to remove, that would be the perfect lowering adjustment. i don't want to slam it, just get rid of that "stink bug" look it has.

the handling/smoothness depends. i would love it to take corners quicker and easier, but how much more rigid would the truck ride afterwards?

i'm also considering replacing the shocks with pro comp es9000's, if that would increase the smoothness, (not sure)
Old 10-21-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

You can take out the blocks (which requires new U bolts) Or, get some 2" drop shackles. The 2" drop helps some for cornering, A rear swaybar helps allot more, the two combined is great that and some better shocks will make it way more fun to drive...
Old 10-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

someone who knows the differences between the HDs and the hlaftons will half to chime in but here is what works on 1500s

hotchkis swaybars
hotchkis sport tuned rear leaf springs - 4" drop
sport tuned shocks - edelbrocks are popular, and adjustables are even better
any lowering you do will make it handle better
a lower profile tire will handle better, less tire roll
a lighter weight wheel will be better too
Old 10-21-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by nightrunner
someone who knows the differences between the HDs and the hlaftons will half to chime in but here is what works on 1500s

hotchkis swaybars
hotchkis sport tuned rear leaf springs - 4" drop
sport tuned shocks - edelbrocks are popular, and adjustables are even better
any lowering you do will make it handle better
a lower profile tire will handle better, less tire roll
a lighter weight wheel will be better too
Originally Posted by FastCrewCab4x4
You can take out the blocks (which requires new U bolts) Or, get some 2" drop shackles. The 2" drop helps some for cornering, A rear swaybar helps allot more, the two combined is great that and some better shocks will make it way more fun to drive...
ok, so that's 2 people now saying i can remove these blocks, where are they located?

a rear sway bar is doable, i have seen them for really cheap prices on jcwhitney, ebay, etc., and i know the thicker, the better but does namebrand matter?

for wheels, i've been searching for the 2007 HD "5 spoke" 17x7.5 wheels, but haven't seen any for a decent price.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:15 AM
TECH Regular

I Got my rear swaybar off a 03 Avalanche, I had to make 2 brackets to mount to the frame and find some 3 1/4 Ubolts. even with the fab work it didn't take an hour to install. as said earlier, adjustable shocks are the way to go, the heavier your wheels the LESS heavyduty your shocks become. The Bilsteins are heavy duty But when you put on heavier wheels they become sloppy. If I was going to do it again I'd get some sort of adjustables. In the winter I run my stock wheels and the rest of the time I use the 20"s, big difference in how the shocks can handle them.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...uck/index.html
Check these mods out...gives cost breakdown on all parts. I did the Eibach sways. Prob one of the first and best mods I did. Then I put 305 tires on and it handles huge better. I'll be doing shocks and leveling for the spring. U will notice a HUGE diff with the sways. I also did powerslots and hawk pads at the same time. No point in better handling without addressing the single worst thing about Chev trucks - brakes.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Those are not removeable blocks, they are perches. They are welded on. If you remove them you would have to buy new perches and weld them back on the axle. The easiest way to lower the rear is to buy shackles. We did this to a buddy's 2500, doesn't take to long, pretty easy job.