Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Check my gear setup- PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I know alot of people use inpacts to install their pinion nut, but I wouldn't. if you crush to far there isn't no coming back, with that crush sleeve anyway.
Did you replace the pinion nut?
Yeah, I was apprehensive about using an impact but it was the only way I could get it done. I tried for 2 hours to work something with my limited tools, rear in truck on jackstands, to hold the pinion and put a breaker bar on it to crush the sleeve. I think ideally would be use an impact to pull it up till the bearings touch and finsih it with a breaker bar. I wound up with about 22" inch pound bearing pre-load using the impact but you could very very easily over do it if not taking it easy.

New pinion nut with locktite.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
great job ky!
hopefully it holds up and works out for you.
Hey Thanks! I think its setup correctly so hopefully it will work as it should long term. Can't wait to get it broke in along with getting the front setup.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:08 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Yeah, I was apprehensive about using an impact but it was the only way I could get it done. I tried for 2 hours to work something with my limited tools, rear in truck on jackstands, to hold the pinion and put a breaker bar on it to crush the sleeve. I think ideally would be use an impact to pull it up till the bearings touch and finsih it with a breaker bar. I wound up with about 22" inch pound bearing pre-load using the impact but you could very very easily over do it if not taking it easy.

New pinion nut with locktite.
There is a trick I use to hold the pinion, Kinda a pain in the A$$, but, if you thorw the carrier assy back in, then throw the cross shaft in with-out the holding bolt, and rotate the carrier until the cross shaft silds part way out of the carrier and hits the rear-end housing and binds the whole assy up...

Last edited by Wilde Racing; 01-17-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
There is a trick I use to hole the pinion, Kinda a pain in the A$$, but, if you thorw the carrier assy back in, then throw the cross shaft in with-out the holding bolt, and rotate the carrier until the cross shaft silds part way out of the carrier and hits the rear-end housing and binds the whole assy up...
That would work, good tip!,and I thought about someway to bind it up using the carrier. The Detroit TT doesn't have a cross shaft. Not that I would have thought of it if it had.

Closest I came was getting to some flats on the yoke. My largest adjustable wasn't quite large enough and it was to short to wedge against the ground.

Last edited by KySilverado; 01-17-2007 at 12:37 PM.