Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Chevy lean some days but not others?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chevy lean some days but not others?

I've had this problem since the first day I owned the truck. Some days the driver's side will sag badly, but other days it won't at all. Today for example, the left rear is 1.5" lower than the right rear, this is with 1/4 tank and no driver. Some days the rear will be perfectly level, even with more or less fuel than it has today. Even if I get in (170 lbs), the suspension doesn't drop much at all.

I currently have a 2/4 drop with 2" Belltech coils up front, 2" Belltech hangers, 2" shackles and 2* shims in the back, and Belltech shocks all around. The truck leaned just as badly before the drop too.

Could this lean be a mechanical issue? Bad bushings, worn leafs? I didn't see any obvious wear when I looked. Should I use the adjustability in the shackles to raise the left rear 1"? I'd rather fix than bandaid the problem though
Old 03-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. I haven't noticed a big difference in my 2001 day to day. I am on my stock springs still.

With leaf springs, they are constantly sliding on each other when they are moving. Maybe your leafs aren't sliding??

Its kind of funny that there is the "GM Lean" because, they have build the chassis with a driver in mind. I was told at a chassis seminar that the GM's have the drivers side top spring pocket a 1/4" lower than the passenger side, to make the vehicle sit level when there is a driver in it.

-Kenny
Old 03-12-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LowSilver
Good question. I haven't noticed a big difference in my 2001 day to day. I am on my stock springs still.

With leaf springs, they are constantly sliding on each other when they are moving. Maybe your leafs aren't sliding??

Its kind of funny that there is the "GM Lean" because, they have build the chassis with a driver in mind. I was told at a chassis seminar that the GM's have the drivers side top spring pocket a 1/4" lower than the passenger side, to make the vehicle sit level when there is a driver in it.

-Kenny
What do you mean sliding on each other? The leaves are clamped together so they shouldn't be sliding.

My driver side spring appears to be more compressed than the passenger side. The helper spring on the drivers side is closer to the main spring than on the passenger side.

Can leaf springs wear out and sag over time?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Make sure your leafs arent broken or bent. I would suggest a set of hotchkis leaf but they dont offer them for your platform.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:59 PM
formerly Stroked-DSM (11/24/2010)

I have a lean that seems to be worse on some days then others as well. When I drop my truck its getting new leafs and coils. I'm thinking it is probably spring related.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you just turn into the parking spot and were your front tires turned in either direction.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

probably on a full tank of gas......since its on the drivers side.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by zeake
Did you just turn into the parking spot and were your front tires turned in either direction.
Yes, I turn left into the parking spot, but I do this everyday. Front tires were not turned when I measure. I even jumped up and down on the rear to try to settle the suspension, without luck.

Originally Posted by terravast4
probably on a full tank of gas......since its on the drivers side.
The measure today was on 1/4 tank. The lean does not depend on the amount of gas. I could have a full tank and sometimes it will still sit level.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Yes, the leafs slide on each other slightly. They have to in order to be a spring. If you put a true leaf spring vehicle ( not a mono leaf) on a 4 corner scale, and then take it off and put it back on, you will have different weight recordings because of the leafs binding on each other. I would think your lean issue would be related to bent or broken springs, OR your posi/locker not unlocking. Have you ever seen a spooled vehicle turn a sharp corner? If you stop it mid way in a tight corner, it will be very crooked.

If it is leaning back it up straight then pull forward and see if it changes.

-Kenny
Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll try parking straighter this morning.

Quick Reply: Chevy lean some days but not others?