Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Circle D - Multi Disk

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke03
Hey Chris... say if i ever get a 6.0 and want to upgrade to a multi-disk is there any way i could trade in the 4000 i have and just get it upgraded?
Ya, I had that question too, can a single disk be upgraded at a later date to a muiti-disk, or are they completely different on the inside?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005 Silverado
What makes the 80e verters so much more expensive, not complaining just wondering y a 60e verter can be found for alot lot less.

Dustin
The 80E billet blank is bigger and takes more time to machine. We also offer the billet 4L80 in a single disk as well.

Chris
Old 05-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I'm interested in a lower stall speed. How low can you go?
We can go as low as you want. We do 13" diesel stuff that is extremely low. What are you looking for? Might be best to modify the stock converter to make it stronger.

Chris
Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Circle-D
The 80E billet blank is bigger and takes more time to machine. We also offer the billet 4L80 in a single disk as well.

Chris
That is a question I am getting asked a lot lately. It is a totally different billet front that houses the multi disk setup and a different piston. I am working on an upgrade price, but not sure how to handle it because I will be left with a used single disk converter. Might be a good idea to resell those for a reduced price and make even more people happy.

Chris
Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

That is a question I am getting asked a lot lately. It is a totally different billet front that houses the multi disk setup and a different piston. I am working on an upgrade price, but not sure how to handle it because I will be left with a used single disk converter. Might be a good idea to resell those for a reduced price and make even more people happy.

Chris
I think this is a good idea for you, resurface the cover and piston if necessary and put a new friction and bearings in them and sell them at a discount as "reconditioned" single disks. A lot of guys now upgrading to 80e that don't need a muti-disk converter and don't want to drop 11 bills or even 8 on a single disk. That's a lot of coin to most of us, I would have bought one if you had one.

If you can get a reasonable priced converter for the head and cam guys with a small shot that are swapping to 80e's, I think you would sell a lot of them, just like your 60e converters.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want a converter...

I called you a couple weeks ago chris, got to talk to FLT and start gettin prices together and ill give you another call to work out the details.

Bump for ya......
Old 06-02-2009, 12:39 AM
SPAM HUNTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris
Im new to all this auto stuff, only experience is with some of the older stuff. So can you explain the difference to me?

Dustin
Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2005 Silverado
Im new to all this auto stuff, only experience is with some of the older stuff. So can you explain the difference to me?

Dustin
We machine the engine side of the converter from a piece of billet steel. We do this rather than modify a stock OE cover for strength from flexing and to make the "teeth" for a multi disk setup. The 4L80 has a bigger bolt patter than a 4L60 so the billet piece is bigger. So it costs a little more and takes longer to machine. Hope that clears it up a bit.

Here is a picture of the teeth I am referring to.

Chris
Old 06-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
I want a converter...

I called you a couple weeks ago chris, got to talk to FLT and start gettin prices together and ill give you another call to work out the details.

Bump for ya......
Sounds good. Talk to you soon.

Chris
Old 06-02-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the tour. The 3 of us came by over the weekend.

PI lockup uses a clutch (manual style) disk with springs and a center disk. <--- more spinning parts. It looks just like the disk part of a manual clutch, fat heavy springs and all.

Circle D has clutch plates/disk that lock into the cover itself with teeth. From what I remember, the apply area was bigger/wider/thicker, but same material.

The tour was pretty cool. He threw 5 different brands/setups at us, and picked them appart. Got to see the shop, the failures, the how too's, how it works, and what's inside, and how their sealed up.

Neat shop!

Quick Reply: Circle D - Multi Disk