Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Circle D - Multi Disk

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootall
thanks for the tour. The 3 of us came by over the weekend.

PI lockup uses a clutch (manual style) disk with springs and a center disk. <--- more spinning parts. It looks just like the disk part of a manual clutch, fat heavy springs and all.

Circle D has clutch plates/disk that lock into the cover itself with teeth. From what I remember, the apply area was bigger/wider/thicker, but same material.

The tour was pretty cool. He threw 5 different brands/setups at us, and picked them appart. Got to see the shop, the failures, the how too's, how it works, and what's inside, and how their sealed up.

Neat shop!
X2 Thanks for the tour and the converter Chris it was nice meeting you
Old 06-02-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any chance of seeing some video of high-HP vehicles using your product? (i.e. taking you up on your dare? )
Old 06-02-2009, 09:34 PM
12 Second Truck Club

what is your idea of high horsepower?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:03 AM
SPAM HUNTER

Originally Posted by Circle-D
We machine the engine side of the converter from a piece of billet steel. We do this rather than modify a stock OE cover for strength from flexing and to make the "teeth" for a multi disk setup. The 4L80 has a bigger bolt patter than a 4L60 so the billet piece is bigger. So it costs a little more and takes longer to machine. Hope that clears it up a bit.

Here is a picture of the teeth I am referring to.

Chris
What about the difference of single disc, and multi disc. Or what is the advantages.

Dustin
Old 06-03-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by marlboroman71818
what is your idea of high horsepower?
[Travis Bickle voice] You talking to me? [/Travis Bickle voice]

I guess something that scoots down the 1320 in 8 or 9 seconds would be considered high-HP.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
[Travis Bickle voice] You talking to me? [/Travis Bickle voice]

I guess something that scoots down the 1320 in 8 or 9 seconds would be considered high-HP.
Why yes, yes I am. I was trying to figure out if you were wanting video of something that weighs 2500lbs with 500hp that runs 9's, 5500lbs with 500hp that runs 12.9, or something that weighs 5500lbs with 1100hp that runs 9's.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
Any chance of seeing some video of high-HP vehicles using your product? (i.e. taking you up on your dare? )
We have quite a few 9 and 8 second cars using the multi. Some trucks in the 10's and I think into the 9's. No videos that I know of. How about you install it and then go shoot some videos? I would be happy to put it up on my website.

Chris
Old 06-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2005 Silverado
What about the difference of single disc, and multi disc. Or what is the advantages.

Dustin
The singles are designed for cruising only, they will not hold on a WOT lock up. The multi's are asking for it, no really - they speak to me.

Chris
Old 06-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Former Vendor

It was my pleasure. I enjoy giving tours and showing off my products. I take it you were the tall guy.

Chris

Originally Posted by Tootall
thanks for the tour. The 3 of us came by over the weekend.

PI lockup uses a clutch (manual style) disk with springs and a center disk. <--- more spinning parts. It looks just like the disk part of a manual clutch, fat heavy springs and all.

Circle D has clutch plates/disk that lock into the cover itself with teeth. From what I remember, the apply area was bigger/wider/thicker, but same material.

The tour was pretty cool. He threw 5 different brands/setups at us, and picked them appart. Got to see the shop, the failures, the how too's, how it works, and what's inside, and how their sealed up.

Neat shop!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:47 PM
single digit dreamer

we got a tripple disk from chris for our nova project. it is really pretty looking

we lock it on the dyno(mustang load bearing). so far we are up to 508rwhp but have yet to run it down the track

Quick Reply: Circle D - Multi Disk