Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Circle D - new website - check it out

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:08 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jiar577
Any particular reason for going with a triple disc?
Strength...it should be able to take anything I throw at it and I can lock it up at WOT if I chose to
Old 12-14-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Strength...it should be able to take anything I throw at it and I can lock it up at WOT if I chose to
Interesting... As I'm a newbie about converters I assume WOT lockup means more power to the ground, right?

What's a good converter for a DD 4x4? I don't tow a lot, maybe every 2 months I tow like 5000 lb or so for like 20 miles, I never take the highway when towing and never see speeds over 45 mph (when towing lol).

I already have a 212/218 cam, LT's, Blackbear tune, a TruCool 40,000 cooler, etc. Truck is an '06 RCSB 4x4 5.3 engine and the stock stall/converter is killing me, but I don't think I'd like a too loose verter from what I've read as most of my driving is done in heavy traffic with lots of stop & go.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:37 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

WOT lockup is something to experiment with, some guys find they run faster when locking the converter at WOT, while others don't. It's good to know that I have the option to do so and to experiment to see what works for me.

My truck is a DD 4x4 BTW, although I don't tow. Give Chris a call and discuss your options...he can build you a nice tight converter that will flash to the advertised stall speed. With your cam, and considering that you tow, something in the 2600-2800 range would probably work well for you. The triple disc lockup clutch will be plenty strong for towing, and a slightly larger 258mm converter won't be too loose for you. Circle-D also offers their modified TrailBlazer converter, which I believe is 278mm, but I don't think it's available in a triple disc, which isn't really a big deal as long as you don't lock it up at WOT
Old 12-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Truck Sponsor

Lookin good Chris!!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jiar577
Interesting... As I'm a newbie about converters I assume WOT lockup means more power to the ground, right?

What's a good converter for a DD 4x4? I don't tow a lot, maybe every 2 months I tow like 5000 lb or so for like 20 miles, I never take the highway when towing and never see speeds over 45 mph (when towing lol).

I already have a 212/218 cam, LT's, Blackbear tune, a TruCool 40,000 cooler, etc. Truck is an '06 RCSB 4x4 5.3 engine and the stock stall/converter is killing me, but I don't think I'd like a too loose verter from what I've read as most of my driving is done in heavy traffic with lots of stop & go.

Billy is correct on the WOT lock up, not always the fastest in a NA setup. In a truck nice to have for durability and towing. You could also go with the 278mm converter like mentioned. It sounds like a great match for your mods. Look in the truck section under High performance 4L60 LS. We have a special for PT.net guys. Use coupon code "278mm" for a great price.

Chris
Old 12-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Wheatley
Lookin good Chris!!
Thanks Charlie.

Chris
Old 12-14-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
WOT lockup is something to experiment with, some guys find they run faster when locking the converter at WOT, while others don't. It's good to know that I have the option to do so and to experiment to see what works for me.

My truck is a DD 4x4 BTW, although I don't tow. Give Chris a call and discuss your options...he can build you a nice tight converter that will flash to the advertised stall speed. With your cam, and considering that you tow, something in the 2600-2800 range would probably work well for you. The triple disc lockup clutch will be plenty strong for towing, and a slightly larger 258mm converter won't be too loose for you. Circle-D also offers their modified TrailBlazer converter, which I believe is 278mm, but I don't think it's available in a triple disc, which isn't really a big deal as long as you don't lock it up at WOT
Whats the story with the lockup at WOT? I am not getting it. What does the term "loose" mean? I have heard this alot, not too sure what it means. Also, as converter diameter decreases, does the "loose" factor increase, or is it the bigger they are, the looser they are? I am thinking about the 278mm at a 3000 to 3200 stall speed. How will this thing act around town at part throttle?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 03 BLACKOUTSSS
Whats the story with the lockup at WOT? I am not getting it. What does the term "loose" mean? I have heard this alot, not too sure what it means. Also, as converter diameter decreases, does the "loose" factor increase, or is it the bigger they are, the looser they are? I am thinking about the 278mm at a 3000 to 3200 stall speed. How will this thing act around town at part throttle?
The OE converter has a clutch inside the converter, it is a single disk. It is applied/controlled by fluid pressure from the transmission which is controlled by the computer. So you can have complete control of the converter clutch through the tune. While the converter is unlocked, meaning the clutch is not applied, the converter is using the converter components to move the vehicle. We will save that for another discussion. But those components are never 100% efficient, so you have some slipping. This is where the lock up clutch comes in. You can apply the clutch to make the power transfer to the transmission 100%.

To apply the clutch at WOT you need a multi disk. Otherwise you will burn the clutch up. You have to experiment with your vehicle to see where your truck likes to clutch to be applied. In a NA setup it will be a bit after 3rd if ever, it might actually slow you down some. The FI is where the multi really shines.

I hope this helps a little.

Chris
Old 12-14-2009, 08:47 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

What does the term "loose" mean? I have heard this alot, not too sure what it means. Also, as converter diameter decreases, does the "loose" factor increase, or is it the bigger they are, the looser they are? I am thinking about the 278mm at a 3000 to 3200 stall speed. How will this thing act around town at part throttle?
To me, a "tight" converter will react like the factory converter at part throttle, meaning you don't need a whole lot of throttle angle to get the vehicle moving, while a "loose" converter will require more throttle angle to get rolling. Generally, smaller diameter converters are "looser" and larger diameter converters, like the factory converter, are "tighter". For daily driving, I like a tight converter with the best of both worlds...I want it to act stock when I'm putting around town under normal driving conditions, but flash to the advertised stall speed when I mash the go pedal
Old 12-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Former Vendor

Sorry, forgot about the Loose term.

The smaller the converter diameter, the higher it will stall. The term loose and tight are very interesting in the converter world. Sometimes it can just refer to the stall, meaning a 3500 stall converter is looser than a 3000. It can also refer to how well a converter drives. Meaning a 3000 stall converter that is very tight, so it drives almost like a stock converter. It does not take much throttle to get the vehicle moving at low speeds. Basically the same throttle pressure required as the OE.

Chris

Quick Reply: Circle D - new website - check it out