Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

clanking noise after 3200 stall instal

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol that be my luck to i know its not the converter bolts becasue i even took my starter back out and checked each one and also there was no sign of metal to metal anywhere on the flywheel hopefully we can figure this out because if its the same sound im having its driving me crazy !! what are these washers u guys are talking about circle d didnt tell me nothing about this ? becasue i did notice a gap once i bolted up the tranny which once i tighten the converter bolts it came all together did i do something wrong?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:38 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8silvy2004
lol that be my luck to i know its not the converter bolts becasue i even took my starter back out and checked each one and also there was no sign of metal to metal anywhere on the flywheel hopefully we can figure this out because if its the same sound im having its driving me crazy !! what are these washers u guys are talking about circle d didnt tell me nothing about this ? becasue i did notice a gap once i bolted up the tranny which once i tighten the converter bolts it came all together did i do something wrong?
No, you didn't do anything wrong, there will be a space between the converter and the flywheel with the converter pushed completely into the pump. If that space is excessive, you're supposed to shim it. I'm going to bet that your CircleD converter is machined to factory specs though so I wouldn't worry about it...I'm sure that Chris would have mentioned if there was a possibility that you'd have to shim it. If it was going to give you a problem, it probably would have already.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

any other info?
Old 07-30-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine seems to have stopped doing it for now.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

yea i havent heard mine do it since we been talking about it but when i did seem to hear it i notice when u start it up and the longer u let it idle it wont do it as if the converter has to get enough fluid and if u start it and then go it will make the noise i dont know and by the way u have a badass truck man how does the aerochamber mufflers sound u have a sound clip?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya thats what i thought might be happening too but i dont know if they lose any fluid or not.

This is the only soundclip i have for now. I need to get some drivebys. I really like the way it sounds with the long tubes.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

btw thats with the window open
Old 07-31-2009, 11:16 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8silvy2004
If your saying the converter and flex plate are touching than I don't think that's correct. Doing my first tranny install in a few days so I could be wrong but I remember reading that there is supposed to be a 3/16 gap at a maximum between the flex plate and converter.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:58 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
If your saying the converter and flex plate are touching than I don't think that's correct. Doing my first tranny install in a few days so I could be wrong but I remember reading that there is supposed to be a 3/16 gap at a maximum between the flex plate and converter.
Sounds like he had a gap and the converter bolts drew the converter and flexplate together as they should, unless I'm reading it wrong...
Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

sounds good man sounds alot better then my flowmasters! and ofcourse the converter and flexplate are touching where u bolt up the three bolts

Quick Reply: clanking noise after 3200 stall instal