Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Converter freespin after engine stop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Converter freespin after engine stop?

A short history...
The truck has been running great so I decided to take it on a road trip a few weeks back. While driving around at my destination, the converter trys to lock, shutters then will not lock any more. PCM is commanding lockup and TCC mode actually goes into 'locked' status. Clutch does not feel like it is engauging at all. Drove 3.5 hrs back home with no TCC (half interstate, half highway). Trans never got over 180 the whole return trip. I did a few diagonistic checks and found cover was not scorched, trans connector was clean and intact, fluid still looks and smells new. I have not dropped the pan to check for clutch material nor is it throwing any codes (although I was hoping for a TCC solinoid code). The truck still drives great except for no lockup.

Now...
Drove it to work yesterday since it has been sitting for a couple weeks. Truck drove great, no lockup though. Upon getting home last night, shut the truck off and hear something still free spinning. I couldn't quite catch where it was comming from as I was opening the door to get out. Left the door open, cranked truck and shut it off. Sounds like something free spinning under the truck for 2-3 seconds after shut off.

My only guess would be something in the torque converter such as the stator or clutch plate. I am not sure if the clutch plate is mated to the turbine or if it is seperately splined to the inputshaft? Could the clutch plate somehow have broken loose and is free spinning? Or could the one-way clutch in the stator be broken causing it to freespin?

I am sooo over these converter issues.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of converter do you have?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

9.5" Fuddle HPTruck 60-80 conversion converter.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKID
Fuddle
There's your problem right there.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, that sounds weird. But if the stator was not holding, and free-wheeling in both directions you would definitely know. It would have no low end power at all.

Have you tried commanding both solenoids on and off to listen if they click?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

That is what I was thinking as well about the stator since it redirects the fluid flow when there is a differential speed between the pump and turbine.

I have not. Would you be able to hear the solinoid apply thru the pan or would the pan have to be off? Both solinoids? Are there two TCC solinoids? I have only manually applied TCC while the truck was running which resulted in nothing but a 'locked' TCC status in the scanner.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:37 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by built408
Hmmm, that sounds weird. But if the stator was not holding, and free-wheeling in both directions you would definitely know. It would have no low end power at all.

Have you tried commanding both solenoids on and off to listen if they click?
+1, I doubt that it's the stator, my guess would be that the lockup clutch has somehow let loose since you don't have lockup, although I'm not sure how the clutch is attached...
Old 11-25-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm guessing your using Hp tuners to command them? You really need to use another sort of scan tool, like a tech 2. That way you can command each of the 2 solenoids separately, and verify each one is working. And yes, you can hear them click through the pan as long as its not running.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
There's your problem right there.
hmmm, ive had mine for 3.5yrs and still holding its own, i know about another 5 that i personally ordered for some friends and still holding...... but every performance part is a time bomb so who knows...
Old 11-28-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I checked today and do not hear the tcc solenoid click when applied with the key in 'run' and manually applying the solenoid via HPT controls. I could hear the other solenoids when commanding a specific gear. It also finally threw a 'TCC system stuck off' code (I believe it was P0741) so I need to do some more diagonistics to determine if it is the circuit or the solenoid.
I still have something continuing to spin when the engine is shut off though.

Quick Reply: Converter freespin after engine stop?