Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

converter not locking up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converter not locking up?

Been having this problem for a couple months where it would hesitate to to go into gear when I put it in any forward gear from park or nuetral. Now it seems to have gotten worse, the torque converter wont lock up at all it seems. Lets say I have the gear selector in second gear and Im running about 70mph at 4800 RPM~. When I let off of the accelerator (no i did not hit the brake), the engine RPM will drop to idle as I continue to coast at 70mph. When I give it some gas, it will just free rev until I get back up to the RPM that matches the speed I am going which in this example would be roughly 4800 RPM~. It will do this in any selected gear, at any speed at any RPM, at any tranny temp and fluid level is fine. I did pull a code P0706 "Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Range/Performance", shortly after it started to do this. I have a Yank TT 3000 torque converter. Other than that, the transmission is still shifting nice and firm as always.
-Thanks in Advance
Old 01-14-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

have you tried to reset the code by disconecting the battery and seeing if it locks up then, to verify its not a dtc preventing lockup.
if not, i'd guess its a mechanical thing. lockup clutch...
Old 01-15-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rgvsierra
have you tried to reset the code by disconecting the battery and seeing if it locks up then, to verify its not a dtc preventing lockup.
if not, i'd guess its a mechanical thing. lockup clutch...
Havnt tried that yet, I did however clear the code using my aeroforce interceptor guages "clear dtc code" option (the code P0706 mentioned up top), but im wondering if that just clears it out of the guage memory and not the computer? I will try disconnecting the battery terminal first thing tomorrow morning, and if this is so, I wonder if not being tuned for the 3.73 gears for the last 3 months has anything to do with it?
Old 01-15-2007, 10:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

recheck the fluid level and shifter adjustment too

Last edited by XLR8NSS; 01-20-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Yank
recheck the fluid level and shifter adjustment too
Thank you, I will recheck the fluid, and figure out how to check the shifter adjustment. I disconected the battery for an hour and it still does not lock up. Im thinking this may be related to the hesitation when I put it into any forward gear I have been experiencing for the past few months, I gotta give it a little gas sometimes for it to lock into a forward gear which I have been told could be low fluid pressure caused by many things.