Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Converter Opinions---Need them right now please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter Opinions---Need them right now please!

Hey guys,

I'm planning to order a converter tomorrow. Here's my problem. Circle D and Yank both make excellent products.

There are arguments of whether or not locking up the converter under WOT will gain you anything and also if it is too rough on the transmission & converter. Some say that even the multi-disc converters won't last over time with this kind of abuse in our heavy trucks and will basically slip and try to weld themselves together with repeated abuse.

I like the concept of the heavier multi-disc clutch setup in Circle D's converter, even if I don't lock it at WOT, it will still help while towing, etc. However, Yank has been proven time and time again and Circle D is still new in this market (at least to my knowledge). I have a magnacharger, cam, etc in my awd Silverado SS and I want the best converter to make this thing launch out of the hole yet maintain streetability with the higher stall.

The 2.4 STR ratio of the Yank SC3000 is weighing heavy on me over the 2.1 - 2.2 STR of the Circle D............Plus, there are ton's of fast maggie guys running Yank's stuff!

Pricing is very similar at this point with the group purchase and all of that.

PLEASE HELP ME MAKE A DECISION----Thanks!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't go wrong with either one.

I'm running a Circle-D
Old 01-17-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

From experience, circle d gets my vote.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would obviously recommend a Circle D - might be a little biased. But I think you are on the right track with the 258mm option with the magnacharger. You will definitely see some gains locking it up with FI. There is also no doubt it will be a little tougher on the drive line, but then again so is the all the extra HP you are adding. I feel very confident in our multi disk and love showing off the pictures on our website - they practically sale themselves. Shoot me a PM of your mods and what you are looking for. You can also fill out the Ask Chris form on my website. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Chris
Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

i took a tour of the shop over at circle d and after seeing how they operate, how clean their machine shop is and the attention paid to each converter, the choice was easy! chris showed me the guts of several compeditor converters and some of them were sickening. then he showed us HIS converter. they do not cut ANY corners on their converters.

ive never had a yank myself, but i know they have a great product too.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've ran just about every popular converter out, and Yank is the only one who's gotten repeat business from me
Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

happy with my circle d...lot of go fast guys like edge as well
Old 01-19-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

"We dare you to break it" - Circle-D

I don't know what you think but for me that's enough
Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slow five 0, if WOT lockup is concern, Circle D. Yank doesn't recommend lockup at WOT, nor to my knowledge do they make a multidisc. I haven't been able to call Yank, but Chris may get another call from me.

I learn toward a lockup for mileage. A hit of -1 MPG isn't too bad. It's a compromise I guess. Plus, that is in city, HWY should be unaffected I think. Problem is I mostly do city or mixed.

Like I said when we talked, I don't need to tow. Just haul.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, what'd you order?

Quick Reply: Converter Opinions---Need them right now please!