Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Converter for towing

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChronic
For the weight of the tahoe, and the size of the trailer you plan to pull, I would NOT put an aftermarket high stall converter in there! The stock converter stalls in the range you want it to for towing.

You will definitely want to put a bigger cooler on there, though. It will see some dangerously high temps without one. Unless you are towing across perfectly flat land, I would stay out of OD while towing that much with the stock setup. Ask me how I know

I would recommend a trans temp gage too.

Good luck!
any reccomendations on a cooler by chance? something i can still use the factory lines with or would i have to convert to steel braided?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Teching In

I would highly recomend the tru-cool trans cooler. I have a TT3k in my truck and even when driving hard i stay cooler now when I did with a stock converter and stock trans cooler. here is a link http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=205
Old 09-25-2007, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

You would just use the rubber lines that come with the cooler.
My truck came with a tranny temp gauge. I think it is a must. You can slow down or speed up while pulling to adjust your tranny temp. You can pull in OD but you must monitor the temp and downshift occasionally to cool more as needed.
You can program you computer to lock the TC in any gear at any speed as well as adjust the tranny behavior in Tow/haul mode verses normal driving. You can even adjust engine performance verses tranny temperature...
There are almost always things to customize to get around problems.

All this said though a stock converter with stock cam or near stock cam will be best for towing. Buy 2 trucks if you want a fast one and a hauler. Or just buy a big Diesel... and fix it all.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:28 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 02Denali6L
You would just use the rubber lines that come with the cooler.
My truck came with a tranny temp gauge. I think it is a must. You can slow down or speed up while pulling to adjust your tranny temp. You can pull in OD but you must monitor the temp and downshift occasionally to cool more as needed.
You can program you computer to lock the TC in any gear at any speed as well as adjust the tranny behavior in Tow/haul mode verses normal driving. You can even adjust engine performance verses tranny temperature...
There are almost always things to customize to get around problems.

All this said though a stock converter with stock cam or near stock cam will be best for towing. Buy 2 trucks if you want a fast one and a hauler. Or just buy a big Diesel... and fix it all.

Yeah, but who wants a diesel??? The smell like **** and sound like nuts and bolts in a coffee can. race fuel smells much better
Old 09-25-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

eh this truck should do fine the way it is. i mainly bought it to be the baby hauler/trailer for the car. i just wanted to make sure it would tow one up to that big.... ill be buying a cooler in the next few days for it no doubt. next year would be a 5.7L motor and H/C swap though.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

would anyone happen to have a picture of their cooler installed? looking at mine it doesnt seem there is much room to fit a bigger one in their.