Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Converter won't bolt up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
I have yet to have problem bolting a PI up in any silverado SS's or S-10's for that matter.
I start all of the bolts loosely then tighten. Do not put in one at a time and tighten as the PI's are usually really close to the insides of the three holes. You will have fun trying to bolt it up then.
I just want to make it clear. This bolt pattern was not even close. I kept saying to myself. Self you are screwing this up. I rotated it to each hole several times. Even tried prying the verter around a bit to see if would move. The holes were at least an 1/8 to possibly a 1/4 inch off.

I ground each hole individually and then put the bolt in. I then put the first bolt in loose then move to the next. It would still not go in. I had to go all 3 holes again about twice until I could get them all to start. Then went back through all of them and tightened them down.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are three different GM bolt patterns. I got some info from TCI's website.

The PI 4L80E converter I have has a 10.75" bolt circle. That is a small GM pattern. Just measure from the center of the converter to the center of a bolt hole on one of the mounting lugs. Then double that measurement to see which pattern you have.

http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/converter_dims.htm

GM Small 27.31 (10.750)
GM Large 29.21 (11.500)
GM LS1 (300mm) 27.94 (11.000)

If you end up needing a "flat" flexplate you can get a 14.13" 168 tooth internally balanced flexplate with whatever old style pattern you need. Most regular flexplates come with a dual bolt pattern(GM large and small). I'm not sure if any come with the LS1 pattern except for stock GM ones. My PI converter had the GM small pattern and I need a flat flexplate so I ordered a 14.13" 168 tooth internally balanced dual pattern SBC flexplate. The nice thing about the SBC flexplate is it's CHEAP!!!

I still don't know for sure which swaps exactly will require a "flat" flexplate though.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks XLR8NSS.
Measured my stock verter. Its GM LS1 patterned. I'm guessing I got a GM small pattern verter from PI.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the kind of stuff (along with improper stall speeds, etc.) that made me decide to keep the stock converter in my truck.

A problem like this should be easily avoided - this should be a question they already have an answer to when you tell them what vehicle you have.

Did you ever hear back from PI?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:37 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Naked AV
This is the kind of stuff (along with improper stall speeds, etc.) that made me decide to keep the stock converter in my truck.

A problem like this should be easily avoided - this should be a question they already have an answer to when you tell them what vehicle you have.

in my opinion you are missing out on one of the best mods out there.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by parish8
Agreed. Read my report in the other thread. Despite the bolt up problems, This verter ROCKS! So far.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Naked AV

I agree. Shame on PI for sending me something that would not bolt right up. At least anyone reading this thread will now know to question them on what they will send, bolt pattern wise. I have not heard back from PI.

All above aside. Stall is pretty darn close. Brake stalls to at least 2500. I'd say flashes to 3000-3100. I recommend you consider a moderate stall. It is eye opening.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by parish8
Well, my only reference point up until this point is my ride in Ed's Vig 3200 equipped truck. All I remember is riding around at 2500 RPM's (or more) driving through a parking lot. The two things that kept going through my mind were 'heat' and 'gasoline' . Granted, once we hit the street it squalked like a banshee, but still.....

I drive like an old man 95% of the time, so my biggest concerns is everyday driveability. This is what had me initially leaning toward the Yank TT2600, but after all of their quality and customer service issues, I decided to stay away. So I'm interested in hearing about how this works out for KY.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:45 PM
single digit dreamer

a 3200 stall in a truck is considered prety stout. if you get the chance go for a spin in a truck with a more mild stall. i loved my tt3000. you could barely tell it was there.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been seeing an increasing number of people having clearance problems between the converters and flexplates. I am starting to wonder if there are not a bunch of converters out on the market with old SBC bolt patterns that are getting 33-spline turbines installed and then getting labeled a "Gen-III / LSx Converter."

Having to grind the holes in the flexplate for placement is ABSURD. I can see enlargening the diameters of the holes to acommodate larger race-ready converter bolts, but having the wrong pattern is CERTAINLY something I would return a converter for, especially after spending what these things cost. Besides the cost of the converter itself there is too much money in front of and behind a torque converter to put something fudged in place like that.

Quick Reply: Converter won't bolt up!