Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Converter won't bolt up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 08:44 AM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Now I'm worried I might not even have right converter. Can anyone verify this part number as 10.5 Vigilante 3 disk for a 4l60E. Part number 2700318-3.
Just found my receipt part # 270418-3 10.5 triple disk
Old 07-06-2005, 09:10 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by James B.
I've been seeing an increasing number of people having clearance problems between the converters and flexplates. I am starting to wonder if there are not a bunch of converters out on the market with old SBC bolt patterns that are getting 33-spline turbines installed and then getting labeled a "Gen-III / LSx Converter."

Having to grind the holes in the flexplate for placement is ABSURD. I can see enlargening the diameters of the holes to acommodate larger race-ready converter bolts, but having the wrong pattern is CERTAINLY something I would return a converter for, especially after spending what these things cost. Besides the cost of the converter itself there is too much money in front of and behind a torque converter to put something fudged in place like that.

I agree. I plan to get a Daaco for my truck. But its a 4x4. If I drop the trans and transfer case and it doesn't fit I'm gona be Pissed
Old 07-06-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TIRBRNR
Just found my receipt part # 270418-3 10.5 triple disk
hmmm..... can you elaborate on what engine and was it stock flexplate? and thanks for looking that up.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

As an update guys. Just got hold of PI today. They were on vacation shutdown last week. So far they are telling me that ALL LS1 style converters they sell/make are done so on a 10.75 bolt pattern. They've sold lots of these and I am the first to call back and tell them it will not fit. Buried in this thread is that the LS1 style flexplates are on a 11.00 bolt pattern as is mine. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.....
Old 07-11-2005, 04:34 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

As an update guys. Just got hold of PI today. They were on vacation shutdown last week. So far they are telling me that ALL LS1 style converters they sell/make are done so on a 10.75 bolt pattern. They've sold lots of these and I am the first to call back and tell them it will not fit. Buried in this thread is that the LS1 style flexplates are on a 11.00 bolt pattern as is mine. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.....
wow!

thats wierd.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I've tried to find a flexplate that actually will work on a 10.75" bolt pattern with the crank spacer that doesn't have to have the holes ground out and there just ain't one. I got the TCI dual pattern unit today to test and it is flat but, is built to space everything the same way a stock "bent" plate does.

If the PI was built with a 11" LS1 pattern I think the stock 6.0L plate would work without reaming the bolt holes out.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an update guys..... So far they are telling me that ALL LS1 style converters they sell/make are done so on a 10.75 bolt pattern. They've sold lots of these and I am the first to call back and tell them it will not fit.....
Well of course, the "solution" to the "problem" is to DENY the problem exists.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Well, I've tried to find a flexplate that actually will work on a 10.75" bolt pattern with the crank spacer that doesn't have to have the holes ground out and there just ain't one. I got the TCI dual pattern unit today to test and it is flat but, is built to space everything the same way a stock "bent" plate does.

If the PI was built with a 11" LS1 pattern I think the stock 6.0L plate would work without reaming the bolt holes out.
I've been following your post. Got a lot of my info from it. I know your goal is a 3/16" or less clearance between the verter and plate as is the spec. Now I will throw another wrinkle into my install. I did not measure the clearance of the stock verter to flexplate nor the PI to flexplate. I will say from eyeing it they were both at least 1/4" if not 5/16".

I also called TCI today and asked about their LS1 flexplate. They confirmed it was dual patterened. LS1 and 10.750. I will probably order one of these in preperation for the next time I am into the verter areas to replace my hacked flexplate. Either when I replace the vig or when I put in a built tranny.

Last edited by KySilverado; 07-11-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by moregrip
wow!

thats wierd.
I'll say. I was talking with the lady whom I placed the original order with. Called about lunch time today and got to the point where I asked what size bolt pattern my verter was built to. Explaining that I had and 11 inch pattern and got a 10.75 patterened verter. She explained that she had to go to the CNN machine and get the print and would call me back. I wound up calling her back around 5pm. Told me about the LS1 styles they build all being 10.750 and that all on the shelf were. She had asked someone to measure them. I didn't argue, just explained again that I had to grind mine and was certian that LS1 style flexplates were on an 11 inch pattern. Anyway she was waiting for the owner to get off the CNN and get him on the phone with me. She also mentioned that it could not be and LT1 verter because it would not fit an LS1 due to the pilot hole. I'll call again tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by James B.
Well of course, the "solution" to the "problem" is to DENY the problem exists.
More to come. I am not so certian the lady I am talking to has all the technical details down pat. To be honest I really hope that what she is saying is true. At least I'll have more confidence in the verter being the right one for my truck and may work long term.

Quick Reply: Converter won't bolt up!