Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Convertin 06 drums to 03 disc brakes- Chevy 1500

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertin 06 drums to 03 disc brakes- Chevy 1500

Just had a quick question for those who know for a fact this can be done?

If I bought the rear axle from an 03 fullsize which was equipped with factory discs, would it be a direct bolt-on to my 06 which has drums? I ask because I was told that yes it would fit, but then I would have problems with my ABS computer because the drums were replaced?

I called Baer brakes who makes the disc conversion for my truck. They told me it is a bolt-on kit and does not require any reconfiguration to the ABS system, which would lead me to believe that the factory discs would work as well?

Im FKN confused as all hell! Help!!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:10 AM
TECH Resident

I do not think the swap from 1 factory rear to another will be that simple. IMO you will probably need to change the master cylinder and I am sure the brake fittings are not the same PLUS that ABS will probably be a HUGE pain in the ***. I would do the conversion where it does not require a complete rear swap. That is a can of worms I would stay away from.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

thanks for the reply...i've been waiting for a solid answer and this clears alot up! THANK YOU!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

that answer has alot of misdirection though....

*the rear wheel abs isn't measured on the trucks by individual wheel, the wheel speed is actually taken by the Vehicle Speed Sensor (transmission tailshaft), so ABS will not be an issue what so ever (that's why when you leave it VSS unpluged after a tranny install the ABS light comes on, wanna ask me how I know? )

*why would you think that the fitting would be different? the Master Cylinder is different, or at least the resevoir clearly is different. The booster may or may not be different, I haven't had them side by side to compare. The 2003 trucks have a vacuum booster between the brake booster and the engine, I'm not sure if they continued it to 2005 and later or not.

The swap itself would be simple. There would be a question to the performance of the master cylinder, but that's the only known possible issue that I can think of
Old 08-18-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

i doubt its much different at all.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Lightbulb

Yes the 05' & up trucks still use a brake booster.
Yes you can swap 03 discs to the rear to replace the drums. You will need a few parts. You could more than likely pick them up from a salvage yard or see if you could just buy the hardware from Baer Brakes. The backing plate will need to be swapped out. Therefore, you will have to pull both axle halves to do this. The master cylinder and brake booster do not need to be changed.
The disadvantage of this is, you lose your braking power. Though you will have smooth responsive brakes. That was the whole reason they went to the drums, but it turned out to be a shitty combo they used for them.I think Bosch makes the GM drum brake system on the 05' to 07' 1500 series GM trucks.
OR....... you can just make it easy on yourself, and buy the Baer Brakes 05' & up rear disc conversion kit. It comes with 15" rear discs and big calipers.
Though you are required to use 18" and up size wheels to clear the calipers.
Expect to pay around $1200.00 for the conversion kit. It's a nice kit that has everything from start to finish.
$1200 seems like a lot, but it comes with quite a few quality parts and components.

Good luck!

Jim