Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Converting Z71 4x4 to 2WD stance

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Max Dreaming
So you're saying I could just swap in a set of 2500HD torsion keys to lower the front in addition to removing the rear lift blocks and switching to 2WD U-Bolts in the rear and that should give me the stock 2WD stance?
um yes u might wanna see about putton some new shocks on the front
Old 03-30-2008, 10:34 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keys dont do anything...unless your maxed out on the adjusting screws, then they'll re-index them but an 1" down is an inch down with or wothout the keys. See how much adjustment you have BEFORE wasting the $$.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trever1t
Keys dont do anything...unless your maxed out on the adjusting screws, then they'll re-index them but an 1" down is an inch down with or wothout the keys. See how much adjustment you have BEFORE wasting the $$.
yes they do affect ride quality depending on there position
but im not gonna with a mod cause u can ban me so u will win
i had to sit threw a whole day lecture on torsion bar suspensions
but u should have enough in there to drop it the amount u wont like trever stated just dont go hittin speed bumps at 80
Old 03-30-2008, 10:47 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

lol, i wouldn't do that to you

Dude, I creamed some good ones yesterday!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol, i wouldn't do that to you

Dude, I creamed some good ones yesterday!
lol i dont know about u sometimes u is a little sneaky from what i have heard............

but yea see what u got not everyone drives like me and trys to takes turns in a big truck like it was a porsche
Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A set of bars that are correctly indexed (on the control arm side) to provide stock spec. preload when paired with a set of correctly indexed keys @ the desired ride height are what is needed to achieve the desired affect without modified spindles.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, as Trever1t previously stated you would need a set of control arm bump stops that give the proper clearance at static ride height and are a bit stiffer in durometer than stock to keep from having a harsh bottom-out event.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ForcedTQ
A set of bars that are correctly indexed (on the control arm side) to provide stock spec. preload when paired with a set of correctly indexed keys @ the desired ride height are what is needed to achieve the desired affect without modified spindles.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, as Trever1t previously stated you would need a set of control arm bump stops that give the proper clearance at static ride height and are a bit stiffer in durometer than stock to keep from having a harsh bottom-out event.
So in laymen's terms you're saying to replace the stock bump stops with smaller aftermarket ones such as those made by Belltech?
Old 03-31-2008, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by D-Max Dreaming
So in laymen's terms you're saying to replace the stock bump stops with smaller aftermarket ones such as those made by Belltech?
just cut one "nub" of your stock ones. that's what i did and it rides just fine.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:14 AM
On The Tree

Ok, just out of curiousity, if I were to go with an aftermarket 2/4 drop, would the McGaughy's Deluxe 2/3.5 for the SS work on my 4WD? The reason is because, according to kit availability that I've seen, they only offer an "Economy" 2/4 kit for 4WD trucks that uses 2" lowering keys as opposed to the redesigned spindles....aren't the spindles better for component longevity in the front end? But on the other hand, could I stick with my 16" stockers if I went with the economy kit that uses the keys?

Last edited by OneBadSSS; 03-31-2008 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Added another question...
Old 03-31-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had a ground force and it never gave me any problems

Quick Reply: Converting Z71 4x4 to 2WD stance