Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Converting Z71 4x4 to 2WD stance

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D-Max Dreaming
Ok, just out of curiousity, if I were to go with an aftermarket 2/4 drop, would the McGaughy's Deluxe 2/3.5 for the SS work on my 4WD? The reason is because, according to kit availability that I've seen, they only offer an "Economy" 2/4 kit for 4WD trucks that uses 2" lowering keys as opposed to the redesigned spindles....aren't the spindles better for component longevity in the front end? But on the other hand, could I stick with my 16" stockers if I went with the economy kit that uses the keys?
if i were you, check out DJM Suspension's kit. they have 3" lower control arms and then a shackle/hanger set up out back to lower it 4" out back.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:35 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinF56
if i were you, check out DJM Suspension's kit. they have 3" lower control arms and then a shackle/hanger set up out back to lower it 4" out back.
thats what i had done to my old green truck

Old 03-31-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i want the DJM arms so bad.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by twolow02fransen
thats what i had done to my old green truck

That looks awesome! I've got several questions for you: Was your truck 4WD to begin with? That's the DJM 3/4 drop kit on it right? What kid fo shocks did you go with? How was the ride quality and di you lose any turning radius?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:57 PM
I hate my cats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dropped my 4wd not long after I bought it, and it's no big deal. You could buy stock 2wd ubolts from the dealer, but I paid like 1/5th the money at a frame shop to have them custom made. I then cranked the torsion bars down until it looked right, then got an alignment. It actually rode better afterwards. If you think you need to **** with the bumpstops, I remember GM Racer making a post a while back about drilling a few holes vertically into the top of it, instead of buying new ones. I haven't done either yet, but GM Racer knows his **** about slamming 4 bys. And you don't need new shocks to lower it, but if they're worn out, I like my KYB Gasadjusts. But ya, cheap is good. You don't have to spend a lot of money to lower your truck. I did it for 30 bucks. Save your money for superchargers and rims and ****.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wyttrash96
I dropped my 4wd not long after I bought it, and it's no big deal. You could buy stock 2wd ubolts from the dealer, but I paid like 1/5th the money at a frame shop to have them custom made. I then cranked the torsion bars down until it looked right, then got an alignment. It actually rode better afterwards. If you think you need to **** with the bumpstops, I remember GM Racer making a post a while back about drilling a few holes vertically into the top of it, instead of buying new ones. I haven't done either yet, but GM Racer knows his **** about slamming 4 bys. And you don't need new shocks to lower it, but if they're worn out, I like my KYB Gasadjusts. But ya, cheap is good. You don't have to spend a lot of money to lower your truck. I did it for 30 bucks. Save your money for superchargers and rims and ****.
I like that price! I probably will be buying new shocks when I lower my truck anyways just because the stock Z71 shocks are poop in IMO and mine look like the cases are starting to corrode bad anyways, so I'm sure they'll start leaking eventually and need to be replaced regardless. Question is, since I'm going to be removing the rear lift blocks should I buy 2WD spec shocks for the rears? (I figure the shock sizes in front are the same for 2WD and 4WD?) Or could I still use shocks spec'd for a 4WD? What about for the SS trucks? I've been lookign at Bilstein HD shocks, any using them or have any other recommendations? And as for the bumpstops I'll probably just pull them and shave the top "nub" off all of them and put them back in...

Last edited by OneBadSSS; 03-31-2008 at 09:33 PM.