Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

convertor questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^this is what I was thinking especially at half throttle? I am assuming they are an aggressive tire as well possibly not highway tread?
I put a circle d 3k in my 4.8 and it feels amazing on shift points that is
Old 05-27-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for yanks billet series theres an option, twin disc or triple...as for the accumulators theres 2 therefore street/strip setting as transgo had listed in the instructions, and as for the valve body it was drilled to the settings for no higher stall, its got a different boost valve, modified seperator plate and vette servos. my trans shifts firm and quick, specially at WOT half the reason i wanted such an agressive gear was because of the stall...and as for traction issues, preload it off the line...spin spin spin, hell from a 30 roll if the pavement is cold enough itll light em. from that roll and keep em goin in 2nd...not to mention my locker is having some bad issues. and def not highway tread tires lol, interco truxus MT's. n goose how do you like the circle d 3k?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

When did they start offering that? It's just news to me since all the times I've spoken to Dave he swore he would never build one, he says it's not needed...

I'd still take the washers ou of that accumulator, I know what the instructions say but after installing a few kits, that's what works best. If you are running a 4,000 or more stall with a lot of power then I'd add washers, otherwise, use none and add some firmness with tuning. You do have some good stuff in there but fresh or not it's still of stock clutches. It'll last a while most likely, but don't think it's invincible. I've blown up plenty to know these things, just trying to give you the most accurate info possible.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
When did they start offering that? It's just news to me since all the times I've spoken to Dave he swore he would never build one, he says it's not needed...

I'd still take the washers ou of that accumulator, I know what the instructions say but after installing a few kits, that's what works best. If you are running a 4,000 or more stall with a lot of power then I'd add washers, otherwise, use none and add some firmness with tuning. You do have some good stuff in there but fresh or not it's still of stock clutches. It'll last a while most likely, but don't think it's invincible. I've blown up plenty to know these things, just trying to give you the most accurate info possible.
I believe Matt (Tootall) bought a Yank multi disk (80e) but they sent him one with a 60E bolt pattern so he sent it back and got a Circle D because he couldn't wait.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

HE has built a very few of them, but only on a special order type basis. Nothing off the shelf is offered as a multi-disc. Those are words straight from Dave himself as of a few minutes ago

not trying to bust anyones *****, just making sure you know what youve got.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Laid Back

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lukn4trbl355
btw justin hows ur stall in mud/trails...jw?
I haven't had my truck in the mud since the 6.0 swap. After burning up my stock trans in the mud, I've been scared to go mudding with this expensive built unit.

If I were to go wheeling, I imagine it would kick *** in the mud(loose sloppy stuff). But on trails and hill-climbs, it would probably net some high rpm, like 2700+.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

HE has built a very few of them, but only on a special order type basis. Nothing off the shelf is offered as a multi-disc. Those are words straight from Dave himself as of a few minutes ago

not trying to bust anyones *****, just making sure you know what youve got.
Cool. So he just simply says a multi disk is not needed? No special reasoning?
Old 05-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

He says his single disk is lighter, 60fts better and according to Dave there's no real advantage to locking it up at WOT on the track. He says if the converter is built properly it will net better e/t's unlocked and not be so hard on parts. He claims the reason that so many people pick up .5 or more and so much mph is because their convertor is inefficient from the get-go. He even claims there's no more than a 10-15hp difference dyno'ing locked Vs unlocked with his converter, and it's usually more like 5hp....

I used to have a similar line of thinking myself but after seeming so many setups gain so big by locking them as soon as you make the 2-3 shift I changed my tune. Yeah, you can run it unlocked and all that but if you're trying to go for a max effort run or getting the most from your setup you've take the fluid coupling out and make it 1:1 when you want the most out of it...

-why do manual trans cars Dyno higher and trap higher mph (for the most part, generally speaking) than an auto with the same power?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn well theres some good as info here mabey ive misread, i take yalls advice on the multidisc deal...i just want a good converter and justin that sounds pretty sick man lol, trail riding...all are trails around here are doneski...law enforcement likes to ruin our fun. and trust me silver-mod, i dont think my trans is indestructable lol...im still shittin my pants waitin for the day it goes...if it does well **** happens lol, my buddys dad whos worked at aamco for 30 yrs hooks me up with labor if i need it lol, said case of beer and hell fully rebuild my trans. its just the matter of finding a good kit
Old 05-28-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

He says his single disk is lighter, 60fts better and according to Dave there's no real advantage to locking it up at WOT on the track. He says if the converter is built properly it will net better e/t's unlocked and not be so hard on parts. He claims the reason that so many people pick up .5 or more and so much mph is because their convertor is inefficient from the get-go. He even claims there's no more than a 10-15hp difference dyno'ing locked Vs unlocked with his converter, and it's usually more like 5hp....

I used to have a similar line of thinking myself but after seeming so many setups gain so big by locking them as soon as you make the 2-3 shift I changed my tune. Yeah, you can run it unlocked and all that but if you're trying to go for a max effort run or getting the most from your setup you've take the fluid coupling out and make it 1:1 when you want the most out of it...

-why do manual trans cars Dyno higher and trap higher mph (for the most part, generally speaking) than an auto with the same power?
I would like to see real world comparisons. Why don't you buy four converters and dyno them all so I can see the numbers? It would be nice to see what converter is actually inefficient.

I understand what you mean about comparing it to manual cars numbers. Makes sense.

Do you know how much Yanks single disk's weigh? My 9.5" mutli weighs in at 36 lbs iirc.

Quick Reply: convertor questions