Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Corvette Servo Help ASAFP Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corvette Servo Help ASAFP Please

ok yep. i'm that ******* that can't even install a vette servo properly. here's the story:

day 1: install servo, go for test drive, truck is slipping. don't have time to deal with it that day.

day 2: turns out one of the plastic slit rings came out of the groove. fix it. take it for test drive. works perfect. come home and see a line of tranny fluid. cover popped off because i didn't seat the ******* snap ring...didnt crack the case though, thank god.

day 3 (today): take cover off, turns out i cut the 4th piston plastic slit ring. finally find one at a dealer. well now the servo assembly wont move in and out like it should. i can't pull the pin and vette servo assembly out. also, i think from prying on the pin i made it out of round slightly, so now the 4th pison won't slip over it. what do i do now?

i'm like 2 seconds away from setting this thing on fire. help please. thank you.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinF56
ok yep. i'm that ******* that can't even install a vette servo properly. here's the story:

day 1: install servo, go for test drive, truck is slipping. don't have time to deal with it that day.

day 2: turns out one of the plastic slit rings came out of the groove. fix it. take it for test drive. works perfect. come home and see a line of tranny fluid. cover popped off because i didn't seat the ******* snap ring...didnt crack the case though, thank god.

day 3 (today): take cover off, turns out i cut the 4th piston plastic slit ring. finally find one at a dealer. well now the servo assembly wont move in and out like it should. i can't pull the pin and vette servo assembly out. also, i think from prying on the pin i made it out of round slightly, so now the 4th pison won't slip over it. what do i do now?

i'm like 2 seconds away from setting this thing on fire. help please. thank you.
so the servo assembly is still stuck in the housing, correct?

same thing happened to me on my old 60e. i didnt have the heart to sit there and beat on it myself..my friends dad got a hammer and screwdriver and slightly tapped around on the pin...we fought with it for 45 mins or so and he eventually got it out...sorry i cant be of much more help. I would clean the pin up with some kind of sand paper/grinder and then clean the entire thing with some carb/brake cleaner just to make sure nothing hangs up on it when you're reinstalling it.

i just tried IMing you on aol but apparently you're not there.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

the pin is just not moving folks. can't get it out, can't push it in. i cant tell if it's ****-eyed in the trans or not. doesn't look it, but it's tough to tell. some might say to drop the trans, but i do not have the resources (I.E. tools or the knowledge) to do so. if i can't get it, it's off to a trans shop...
Old 04-26-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

so yeah i'm gonna take the thing to a shop. nothing like a couple hundred dollar corvette servo install....
Old 04-26-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

break out the BFH before you get raped!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Get a screw stick(aka screw driver) and pry on the metal waster on the pin. Do it from different angles until it comes out. I suspect that you have a ring on the second servo that is fubared and is the culprit. The cover for the second servo might be cocked as well. You could try to use the end of a screw driver to tap around the 2nd cover to verify that it is flush and then pry on the washer until it comes out. Make sure once all the pieces are out that the bore for the seals are not damaged. If so start polishing the nicks away. Good luck and be patient unless it will be a $2500 servo install. Vince
Old 04-27-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Get a screw stick(aka screw driver) and pry on the metal waster on the pin. Do it from different angles until it comes out. I suspect that you have a ring on the second servo that is fubared and is the culprit. The cover for the second servo might be cocked as well. You could try to use the end of a screw driver to tap around the 2nd cover to verify that it is flush and then pry on the washer until it comes out. Make sure once all the pieces are out that the bore for the seals are not damaged. If so start polishing the nicks away. Good luck and be patient unless it will be a $2500 servo install. Vince
yeah maybe i'll try doing that. i don't know if i'll be able to get a screw driver on the washer though as the servo assembly is pretty far into the trans.

Last edited by KevinF56; 04-27-2008 at 09:59 PM.